Original windows on the trawler and replacing the salon door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straycat

Vessel Name
StrayCat
Vessel Make
Prairie 29 Hull #51
smile.gif
We own hull #51 and our windows are bronze colored aluminum with all port and starboard windows opening by sliding. *Is this the way the models made about the same time have been built? *We are curious to know if they are original. *We are also looking to replace our salon door as it is warped. *Has anyone found this to be necessary and if so what were the options available? *Thanks *Donna

Howdy Donna. I had Hull number 55 and the way you explain the windows sounds about right. Although mine were painted black somewhere along the way. My door was in bad shape too....but sold the boat before replacing it. I do see the boat around and they have replaced it. It is gonna have to be a custom job. Good luck!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 03:42:11 PM

Hi Donna, We have hull # 6 and our windows are as you described. We have a new salon door being constructed and should be ready by end o month. Options to repair were just not sufficient.

Anyone know where the windows can be replaced?

John

We have friends that have just purchased a 1979, hull 29 and are replacing the windows as theirs are wood framed and plastic not glass and have researched this very item. *There is a place in Miami who were very helpful. *I don't have the name, but will get it for you. *There is another place in Sarasota and they are waiting for a price from him. *Again, I will forward the name to you asap. * They have a sliding helm door...we do not. *Their salon door is in good shape and ours is twisted on the bottom. * None of their windows except on the Port side near the galley open. *They have the "L" shaped galley. *The fellow in Sarasota has numerous options for opening, venting and color for the glass. *Both use aluminum frames.

Thanks Donna, Our windows are metal framed, however, the glass or lexanglass has been badly hased. The information would be appreciated. Our salon door is very thin and does not fit well. After consideration of several options we decided to go with a new door.

We have the l shaped galley, presently we have interior woodworking being done,along with the door. As soon as we have together, we will post some pictures.

John

I replaced our galley window and aft sliding door with products from Aluminum 2000 in Lancaster, PA. We did the work about five years ago and the powder coated windows and door look like new. They have since been bought by Pompanette.

Rob
37' Sedana'*** pjegn*** 'pigh?qw<dQEF,e<f<'P[JOEWJF*** JEWPOMPANETTE MARINE GROUPUIO;PU GROUP;ou;hhd are I thinkPANETTE MARINE GROUP

Thanks for the info, Datenight. I will inquire there for Max Rick, 29 Prairie

Hi, John, I am collecting info on doors and windows for the Prairie 29, and will get the window info to you on Sunday. *Our ports and windows are heavy glass. *Our friends who just bought Max, a 79 Prairie 29 are getting quotes for their large windows from 2 companies in Florida, as they have plastic panes which must be replaced. *We have bought a 13" by 20" hatch to use as a door to a line locker in the transom. *We got the idea from Dot Dee, but we wanted something without teak, so we will try this.

On another subject, I am trying to locate all Prairie 29/Atlantic 30 vessels east of the Mississippi.
We know of you, Prairie Jack, one in Albany, Max and Chug here on the Gulf Coast, and one in Bradenton. *If you know of any others, would you ask them to contact us? *Thanks, Peace, Rick & Donna Cass

Hi Donna, Thanks for the info. Have contracted for the door to built out of mahogany by a local cabinet maker. The windows are the challenge. We discovered a window leak in the port side by the dinette area. The PO had carpet, which retained the water. Resulted in some "bad wood" on the salon sole sub flooring. We have repaired that and are getting ready for a new hardwood floor install. That window is poorly fitted and the others are crazed from sun etc.* We are getting close to moving her to her permanent slip in Merritt Island. Looking fwd to some cruising time in the late spring.

Sounds like you have them all, except the one for sale in SE Mass. It is a hardtop, no fly bridge. Will keep my eyes open, great idea. Sounds like a few are here in Florida.

John

We will be looking to replace some glass soon as well. Our salon windows were replaced with non-opening (if they ever did open) plates of safety glass by the previous owner. We'd like to get the names of the companies doing the quotes as well, since the rest will be replaced. We have the L galley, those open as well as the helm station. This film (on the Cobb cooker) shows the glass behind me, it is cracked, taped, and warped so we can't open it much and definitely repair is high on the agenda:*[video=[MEDIA=youtube]AECpyiAVgtk[/MEDIA]]

Matt Mattson
Mischief

-- Edited by flagold on Saturday 5th of February 2011 07:52:45 AM

hi,
We bought a 78 Prairie 29 "Orca" in Clearwater Fl. Dec 09 and used it there for winter 010 then shipped it up to the Hudson River NY spring of 010.* WE rebuilt the salon door with good sucess, windows are lexan which we will probably replace will glass in the near future.* We purchased the boat from the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. The previous owner was elderly and donated it to them.* Just prior to donating it he installed a new Yanmar diesel, vetus bow thruster and several other upgrades.* We love the boat and plan on spending many hours actually crusing on it for serveral years to come. Absolutely perfect crusing boat for a couple.

I wasn't given the name of the gentleman that donated the boat, if you read this please contact me, I'd love to talk to you.

Bill& Cyndi

Here are two companies that make windows for the Prairie. *In Sarasota, Waterway Systems. *941 752-3554, which uses mitered corners as in the original windows in the later Prairies, and powdercoats the frames. *The second is Ocean systems, of Miami, and promotes an anodized aluminum extrusion with radiused corners. *Both have websites. *As they use different manufacturing methods, a complete picture of the differences would be helpful. *Hope this helps. *As for floors, there is a Teak Concepts place in Bradenton FL that has resonably priced teak & holly floor sections at 4x8' and 4x10' as well as other teak products as well as premade pieces. *They are on 15th Ave E just North of the Sarasota Airport, across from Marine Surplus. *Max is replacing ports, floors and windows this spring, and is doing a lot of research. *As Gene is a production engineer and knows his materials and mfg processes he is very thorough. *I will pass along what he learns. *Peace, Rick, Cass Slo Poke3, Prairie 29 hull 51

Farmerbill, glad to hear of your wonderful purchase. *The bow thruster must be handy. *Could I ask what your cruising speed is with the new Yanmar. *We have a 4-154 Perkins, and we are having difficulty getting manuals and info on it. *Max has an 85 hp 4-236, and gets 6.5 kn at 1700 rpms easily. *Thanks, Rick

We have the Perkins 4-108 and have had no difficulty finding parts. I have been told that the 4-154 is a difficult one to get parts for. Canot give any kind of honest answer on speed, when we ran her in the survey, she needed a bottom job, the prop was dinged and the tach malfunctioned.

John

Rick, Thanks for the information. We are awaiting a quote from both of these venders.

John

straycat wrote:

Here are two companies that make windows for the Prairie. *In Sarasota, Waterway Systems. *941 752-3554, which uses mitered corners as in the original windows in the later Prairies, and powdercoats the frames. *The second is Ocean systems, of Miami, and promotes an anodized aluminum extrusion with radiused corners. *Both have websites. *As they use different manufacturing methods, a complete picture of the differences would be helpful. *Hope this helps. *As for floors, there is a Teak Concepts place in Bradenton FL that has resonably priced teak & holly floor sections at 4x8' and 4x10' as well as other teak products as well as premade pieces. *They are on 15th Ave E just North of the Sarasota Airport, across from Marine Surplus. *Max is replacing ports, floors and windows this spring, and is doing a lot of research. *As Gene is a production engineer and knows his materials and mfg processes he is very thorough. *I will pass along what he learns. *Peace, Rick, Cass Slo Poke3, Prairie 29 hull 51

Thank you!

After an extended search and multiple quotes,all higher then I expected, a commercial tug captain put me onto Wynne Enterprises,Inc* in Tuscumbia, Al.35674. tel: 256/383-5040; www.wynneinc.com ask for Brad Bates. Favorable results.

John

The windows are really in good shape, but are similar to those supplied with the boat. *Friends of ours who just bought "MAX" are replacing theirs, and they look identical to those on SloPoke. *Will you be coming down here anytime soon? *If so, give us a shout at bacchus42@mac.com. *Peace, love and joy, Rick & Dona

RE: Original windows on the trawler

I am trying to rebed and upgrade my windows on my Prairie. On the two aft windows the rubber spline has hardened and is not usable. Does any one have a source for this spline?

After getting the two aft windows I will tackle the back sliding windows that are leaking. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Page Proffitt

Melbourne, FL

Back
Top Bottom