Time for a new boat,suggestions welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cat 3207TA 435hp

Looking at a boat in a week with the Cat 3208TA 435. From my research it's my understanding it's not a long lived engine plagued with overheating issues. I thought I would reach out and see if anyone has first hand experience with these engines. The boat is no bargain it's not priced right for a repower. But if my study reveals the motors are just not up to the tasks I can always offer based on my findings.

Here are the top choices so far,
42 Ocean Alexander, from what I understand this is a cored hull including my second choice
4588 Bayliner
Since I have a 42" OA Sedan, that's the only one I'll comment on. As you stated, cored hull, Cat 375s on older models, (I know of problems with 2- 435s) IMO, not the best boat for the PNW. Unless you have the very best fly bridge encloser ever made, it's going to get wet up there. As for the teak in the cockpit, I love it! Holds a secure foot when wet and I don't treat it with anything. When it gets dark gray, just get it cleaned (acid solution) by someone that knows what they're doing. The boat will do everything else you have mentioned. I'm on my second OA 42 Sedan. (2006) Yoy will be hard pressed to find a decent one for the budget you've indicated. :blush:

If my cruising grounds were the PNW, I'd definitely have a pilot house model at the top of my list.

Here's a newer OA 42 cruising in the Seattle area. She has a semi displacement hull but the older models I think had a modified vee. (They were a little faster but wouldn't carry the eight the Semi displcements do.)

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Anyone in Anacortes look at a boat for me and report back?

"Ok, several of the makes that I have identified have cored hulls. Not something I am interested in, specially since this one is going to live in the water full time."

DEPENDING , on just what the core consists of a cored boat has many advantages.

For speed and stiffness it cant be equaled , IF its the right stuff.

Learn how US and Euro pilot boats are constructed ,

Narrowed

OK
So I have narrowed it down. I am leaning on a GB 42 I really like the use the space, specially as my son grows everyone will have their own space, places to hang as a family and places to enjoy a book, activity etc. I know initially I wanted a bit faster of a boat but after touring a OA 42 with it's tight ER and GB I just like the feel of the GB and ER so much better. So, here are the two I am considering,
42 GB motor yacht
and 44 Defever
both run about the same speed, both are laid out similarly. What say you? I am thinking about flying into Anacortes to check out the available 44 Defever and really crawl around.

OK

So I have narrowed it down. I am leaning on a GB 42 I really like the use the space, specially as my son grows everyone will have their own space, places to hang as a family and places to enjoy a book, activity etc. I know initially I wanted a bit faster of a boat but after touring a OA 42 with it's tight ER and GB I just like the feel of the GB and ER so much better. So, here are the two I am considering,

42 GB motor yacht

and 44 Defever

both run about the same speed, both are laid out similarly. What say you? I am thinking about flying into Anacortes to check out the available 44 Defever and really crawl around.

While I prefer the DeFever Pilothouse model over the one in Anacortes, I know that its higher and flared bow will result in a much drier ride than the GB. Having chartered GBs, that was one of the first disappointments for us. The smallest chop splashed the windshield. The DF is stabilized, which you want in a boat like this. I wonder if it has been repowered or lightly used with such low hours. I really like the inside accommodations of the GB MY with its full width master stateroom. While in the Anacortes area, you may want to drive up to Bellingham and take a look at the GB fleet of NW Explorations, some of which are for sale.

I would also be open to a pilot house as well but just have decided after looking at several in person they'd have to be a df or the like.

Funny just about everything I am pulling up is in the Sound so traveling from Seattle to Portland is going to be necessary. I am currently reading up everything I can find about going around the outside as most of the boats I wouldn't be interested in trailering. I have been in 10 ft swells in a 30 ft FD before and don't mind putting a boat through it's paces. Any readings, articles, suggestions or otherwise you'd like to share I'd be open.

Funny just about everything I am pulling up is in the Sound so traveling from Seattle to Portland is going to be necessary. I am currently reading up everything I can find about going around the outside as most of the boats I wouldn't be interested in trailering. I have been in 10 ft swells in a 30 ft FD before and don't mind putting a boat through it's paces. Any readings, articles, suggestions or otherwise you'd like to share I'd be open.

When I was looking at boats in the Portland area, I decided that I would probably hire a delivery captain to go with me for the trip to Puget Sound. I have never made that trip and since I am new to power boats in general I thought it would be the best choice for me.

Well as fate would have it, I am back on the hunt. The offer I made on the Grand Banks wasn't accepted. I thought it was reasonable given that I would need to add electronics, tender and diesel heat to cruise in the PNW.

So here's my list of wants and budget. Maybe we can narrow down a candidate list.

Less teak is better on the outside. Both my wife and I work more than full time and we enjoy cruising more than varnishing.
I'd like to stay away from Volvos
Prefer a two stateroom set up as my 7 year old continues to grow
My budget puts me around $140-160k (purchase)
I'd like to look primarily here in the PNW to save on shipping, however for the "deal" I'd go out further.
No Bayliner, Carvers,Searays - I know they have their market place but not for me.
I'd love to get a flybridge

Thoughts? Off market, on market coming to market?

Saw quite a few of the tugs, Nordic and American, in the PNW. No flybridge but very good boats.

With a decent pilothouse, no flybridge is necessary.

With a decent flybridge a pilothouse isn't necessary.... been there... done that... on hundreds of boats.

With a decent pilothouse, no flybridge is necessary.

I have a flybridge and agree with Mark. I rarely navigate up there because the Pilothouse has good visibility, ready access to lines, and is always comfortable. I use the flybridge deck to raise/lower the tender, to grill, for additional storage, and to occasionally lounge after anchored or docked. In reality I probably spend as much time cleaning it as using it.

Funny how the guys from almost San Fran north to Seattle or even farther north say flybridges are extraneous...

And people from the Gulf coast and further south say the awnings and rain guards and enclosures that so many from the PNW say are crucial are really silly...

Go figure.... :rolleyes:

flybridge

That is the one thing I would be willing to compromise on if needed. I do like the American Tugs - but they are out of my budget even should I stretch.

Keep them coming,
:thumb:

We love our enclosed flybridge. Use it in all sorts of weather whether in Alaska or BC. I would not have a boat in our size range without an enclosed flybridge for our type of cruising.

For the OP, seems you have the proverbial steak desires and hamburger budget. Something will show up, be patient. Suggest you keep an eye on Irwin Yacht Sales for that right freshwater Tollycraft on the Columbia. They fit your budget and desired size.

Last one, a Californian sold just a week prior to me hitting the market. I'd like to say I am patient, I know it's out there. It's a matter of finding the right person with the right motivation.

Funny how the guys from almost San Fran north to Seattle or even farther north say flybridges are extraneous...

And people from the Gulf coast and further south say the awnings and rain guards and enclosures that so many from the PNW say are crucial are really silly...

Go figure.... :rolleyes:

Having boated in both locations the differences in attitudes reflect the differences in weather. Once again buy a boat for the use you are going to have of it.

Navigators were built with (UGH) Volvo engines, not a good choice for BSHILLAM or anyone else.

Navigators were built with (UGH) Volvo engines, not a good choice for BSHILLAM or anyone else.

Not all. In fact, when I hear a boat coming into the marina with a particular noise, I can usually identify the make of the engine. In the case of Navigators, most of the ones in my boating area have Cummins, with their particular low speed growl.

And having read a few recent posts on the cost of stuff for Yanmar and Cummins being exorbitant, Volvos are cheap to maintain by comparison.

Funny I looked at a navigator 5000 and was impressed with the layout, how it has aged etc. it wasn't a dock queen either. Twice to AK from Portland in the last few years. I'll look at both on YW.

One of the boats I listed was DD powered. And besides, not everyone has had a bad experience with Volvo motors.

The bad experience is not with Volvo engines, as they are quite good. The bad experience is the difficulty in findin' replacement parts at any price, as Volvo does not support legacy engines.

The bad experience is not with Volvo engines, as they are quite good. The bad experience is the difficulty in findin' replacement parts at any price, as Volvo does not support legacy engines.

We have been thru this before. I have 2000 model year engines and Volvo is still making parts for them. Yes, parts are expensive, but you can get them if you know where to look. So I don't know what you mean by not supported or maybe your engine was much older. In that case, yea, maybe they did stop making parts, but that should mean you should diss the entire make. Pontiac isn't even a car company anymore, but lots of people are buying old GTOs. :eek: Can you call Ford and get Leman parts? What about Perkins?

Sorry for the thread creep.

Not too likely that a Navigator will come with a "legacy" engine, of any brand, as the build date on the Navigator won't be that old.

My boat, built in 1980 came with older technology for the time, by Volvo, TMD40. Still lots of those around, and parts are still readily available, at least in the South coast of BC.

The guy whose boat was built in the 50s will certainly have what I would call old, but still may be able to get parts, but may have to wait while. This will be true no matter what the brand.

eg. a friend of mine just last month did a turbo rebuild on his 1957 Cat. He had to wait a month for the parts to come in.

We have been thru this before. I have 2000 model year engines and Volvo is still making parts for them. Yes, parts are expensive, but you can get them if you know where to look. So I don't know what you mean by not supported or maybe your engine was much older. In that case, yea, maybe they did stop making parts, but that should mean you should diss the entire make. Pontiac isn't even a car company anymore, but lots of people are buying old GTOs. :eek:

Sorry for the thread creep.

Thread creep warning:

Last winter I saw my old GTO stopped at a light (well, OK one like it). The top was down, there were 4 old fogies (guys and gals my age) out for a ride. I hollered at them "that's my car!". The driver hollered back "It's mine now" and drove away. Later that day I looked the 65 convertible up and found that the car I sold in 1972 for $1500 CDN is now worth north of $60,000 USD. NO I won't be in that market again. But reminiscing is still fun.

Not many of us have boats that have been well enough maintained to still turn heads after 50 years. Those who do are willing to pay any price for the continuing maintenance, as with the GTO.

I'd re offer 175 for the GB. Let em dwell on it. !!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom