The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GW63

Hi, I am a sailboat owner looking to make the jump to trawlers. Looking at a Bestway and trying to find out information on their construction. They seem to have mixed reviews and would appreciate anyones opinion on them. Are they foam cored or balsa or anything else? Thanks, GW

I don't know anything about the Bestway, but wanted to say WELCOME!!

I will say in my opinion... in general I don't look much at brand... anything over 10 -15 years old it is far more important to look at how the boat was maintained...

Welcome!

Bestway trawlers are a bit harder to resale I heard. This because of the fact they are a bit more uncommon. Now personally I've never cared for resale value because I rather have a boat that I like then one that does not 'push my buttons' but keeps it value.

Typical problems may include:
Teakdecks, blisters on the hull, leaky windows, water intrusion and/or feul tanks.

Reviews, especially for boats, are not always a good indicator, everyone expects different thing of his/her boat. When one's buying a 12 ft fishing dinghy for use on the ocean in bad weather it will obviously get a bad review from this particular person.

I've owned various fiberglass boats, both with Balsa and Foam coured hulls, both with mostly good and bad reviews. Some needed a few days worth of work, some I spend months or even years on. Most of the boats I've owned were older than 40 years. Like Talonewo said important is how the previous owners maintained and cared for her.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Thom

Thank you. Age doesn't bother me and I usually keep boats long enough that resale is secondary.

Back
Top Bottom