Stop the leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Cooper

Vessel Name
Tuna Talk
Vessel Make
CC Tournament 30
I have a Moeller plastic fuel tank in my skiff - fill, vent and sending unit located on top which I believe are leaking rain water. Anyone know of a spray sealant which is impervious to gasoline I can use to seal the connections?

I have a Moeller plastic fuel tank in my skiff - fill, vent and sending unit located on top which I believe are leaking rain water. Anyone know of a spray sealant which is impervious to gasoline I can use to seal the connections?

Another product , called Seal-All
Is impervious to gasoline. Comes in a tube.

I saw the seal-all along with permatex permaseal but they both come in a tube. I was hoping to find a spray product.

Are you saying the gasket is leaking? Change the gasket.
Or is a fitting leaking? You can use a wicking Loctite.

Sea-All does seal gasoline, you can buy at Home Depot.
It will also glue down small pieces of wood veneer.

I have a Moeller plastic fuel tank in my skiff - fill, vent and sending unit located on top which I believe are leaking rain wate.

If fittings or screwed top plate are leaking, then remove, change seal and/or apply gasoline-resistant sealant and refit. I would not place much faith in persuading a spray-on sealant to stick to the waxy plastic that most gas tanks are made of.

I'm going to remove the fill flange, pick-up & vent fittings and sender plate from the tank and then reinstall using the seal-all or permatex permaseal product. The flange and fittings have o-ring gaskets which I suspect are the culprit so I'll replace them also. I'd like to use an epoxy cabosil mixture as a sealant but there is too much flexing of the plastic tank and I only see that seal bond cracking/separating over time. I think a flexible sealant is my only option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom