View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #19
leeman

City: Whosville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Exactly my sediment 4 years ago. I would have loved to have the Krogen 42 in steel.

Now, from what I have experienced, my view is vastly different. Two significant issues:

1. Dauntless has virtually no condensation inside the boat, above or below the water line.

2. A few people who looked at the damage from my rock encounter(s) last year said had the boat been steel, it is likely I would have had a 5 foot slice in the side of the boat, much like a can opener, and I may have lost the boat.

Cored GRP provides an insulation and different shear properties that may or may not be advantageous.

Simply put, it's not a no brainer to me anymore and both show advantages and disadvantages.
This a very interesting discussion. I started my research looking at aluminum hulled craft- single and twin hulls and have just recently looked more seriously at fiberglass trawlers. I'm curious as to what you think might have happened if your boat was aluminum, not steel or fiberglass. My thought is that maybe it would have dented with no puncture and could perhaps have carried on to be repaired later.
I started out with the thought that in the PNW aluminum was for me, so boats like the Armstrong caught my eye, but the trawler design fits the space, comfort, speed, reliability requirement.
Aluminum trawlers are rare and custom made and expensive, but they are out there. Check out Rozema in Wa. Wow!

leeman
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote