Temporary tank coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
I removed the mild steel fuel tank (gasoline) from our small boat and have washed and rinsed the 38 years of accumulated "gunk" out. The tank is pristine inside with no signs of corrosion what-so-ever. I will not be re-installing it until next year and it will remain empty. Is there any sort of temporary coating I can rinse the inside of the tank with to eliminate/minimize any surface rusting? I do not wish to permanently coat the inside of the tank due to the filter screen (NOT removable) at the outlet port.

i was thinking a light coating of oil or transmission fluid BUT I don't want IT to gunk up over the winter and have to go through the cleaning process all over again. I also considered a rinse with some sort of rust remover that leaves a phosphate/protective coating but most require an overcoat of some sort.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I would also pay attention to WHERE you store the tank. Keeping it off the ground or off the basement floor will help, and if it's in a heated room that would be much better as far as keeping moisture out.

You might even consider buying one of those heated rods (golden rod) that they use in safes to keep them dry and hang it inside the tank. They are pretty cheap at Cabellas, etc.

Last edited:
Put a gallon of diesel fuel in it and seal the openings. Slosh it around so the entire tank has been coated. Drain it before installing and fill completely the first time with gas. The diesel won't change in less than a year and the very small residue will instantly mix with the gas.

Ted

If the tank stays dry and sealed, you should be fine.
Rust come about from oxygen and water. Once dry, sealing the tank and filling with an inert gas is probably the best way w/o a coating. If you have a friend with tig or mig welding equipment, he should have a gas you could use.
My main tanks were built in 1942 for the original gas engines. They're still in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom