Fire at Tarkanen Ways in Sointula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MV Content

Vessel Name
MV Content
Vessel Make
Fellows & Stewart 58' Pilothouse Cutter
I just heard that Tarkanen had a big fire last week, seems to have destroyed the yard. I gather they plan to rebuild. This is a great loss to the local community and fleet: I had some work done there last year, and it was a pleasure to deal with them. Let's hope they get back up and running !

Darn, seems like there is less and less choice in where to go every year for service. Poked about but never had the boat out there. They appeared to have a well organized and clean yard. They are now the only operating yard with any kind of haulout facilities in the area, I believe.

I too hope they rebuild.

We were up on the ways July 21 -26. It was a nice set-up. Had 2 smaller ways
beside the large one we were on. Good service and crew.
Not sure what/how much was damaged by the fire or the status of possible
rebuild. Will need to talk to Mary with a better connection later.

Ted

What a shame. Hopefully they will be up and running quickly. We were on Sointula in late August, lovely spot. Where will the commercial fishing boats from Port McNeil and Port Hardy haul out with this rail lift down?

a true loss

last summer we lost our cutlass bearing just outside of qwatsi bay and was towed into sointula. the yard had me on the rails in 2 days and three days later we were heading south out of the broughtons. what a great job they did on my 2001 American Tug! I am deeply saddened by this valuable loss to the boating community in a rather remote area of one of the most beautiful cruising areas in the world. wishing all of the best along with my prayers for a timely rebuild of a really good yard-- steveandtina AMERICAN PRIDE--- hull003

I spoke with Tom Trimmer at Tarkanen today....... they are hoping to get one of the ways open in January, which is great news.

Back
Top Bottom