Too many zincs & bording gate hinge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Take Five

Vessel Name
Take Five II
Vessel Make
Present 42
Good Morning All.**** Just came off the hard after a bottom paint and an old salt passed by to express his opinion* that I had too many zincs on my boat thus being over-protected.** His thinking being that Taiwanese Stainless Steel is known for it's low quality and therefore is less noble than "good"* Stainless, so over zincing can reverse the flow and the stainless steel actualy becomes the anode and erodes...Anyone heard of such a thing or has this old boy been out in the sun too long ??***** I am also looking for a source for a new hinge for the boarding gate.* Thats the gate in the wooden rail about amidships on each side, can't find them in the regular supply catalogs.

Regards

Graham

As long as the metal is not connect and/or immersed in water it is not protected by the zincs.* you can over zinc a wood boat, but I don't think you can over zinc a fiberglass or metal boat.* zinc has a galvanic rating of 3, mild steel 15, and SS 23, so zinc will protect high rated metals.*

I*would just clean up the old hinges, wire*wheel then laquare*as find new hinges to match might be difficult.*

I agree with Phil on the hinges. Mine had a bit of rust but cleaned up nicely. Having them fabricated will cost some $$$.* There is a site that I found that had the brass fittings for the rails. They were used, not cheap and in fair to good condition. I will post the URL if I come accross it. They might get the door hardware or know who might be a good source.

Some sources that I was told about but have no experience with are:

Minney"s Marine Surplus in New Port Beach CA

J.A Reinick & Son has brass parts for old boats

The Ships store at the Wooden Boat Foundation in Port Townsend WA

Pete Langley the owner of Port Townsend Foundry that can fabricate parts

Let is all know if you find a good source for the door hinges, rails or other parts.

I picked up this reference while in the yard this winter.* Perhaps it will provide some valuable info.

After looking the the uploaded images they don't look very usable.* I'll be happy to forward full size printable copies to those who would like them.

-- Edited by Ed on Thursday 14th of April 2011 11:57:54 AM

Attachments

• corrosion reference-2.jpg
    corrosion reference-2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 129
  • corrosion reference-1.jpg
    corrosion reference-1.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the info,* Ed, that section on Cathode /Anode ratio is interesting, I have not been much on painting the shafts, but then all my other boats have been faster so probably would not stay on anyhow.** Is there such a thing as the correct voltage value as read on a potentiometer that is the ultimate protection goal?** I have a reading of 1volt,* but don't know if thats good or bad!!*** On the hinges,* one of them has wrung off and the other is thinking about it.* I found a young kid who says he can weld them so may as well let him try.* I'll check out your leads Dave and let you know if I find them.

Regards

Graham

Another question, If an item has it's own zinc, ie trim tab, rudder etc, would you connect them to the bonding system?

Take Five wrote:
Another question, If an item has it's own zinc, ie trim tab, rudder etc, would you connect them to the bonding system?
*The short answer is yes.

Ed wrote:
I picked up this reference while in the yard this winter.* Perhaps it will provide some valuable info.

After looking the the uploaded images they don't look very usable.* I'll be happy to forward full size printable copies to those who would like them.

-- Edited by Ed on Thursday 14th of April 2011 11:57:54 AM
*Like to have them, thanks

vchianese@nc.rr.com

Take Five wrote:
Thanks for the info,* Ed, that section on Cathode /Anode ratio is interesting, I have not been much on painting the shafts, but then all my other boats have been faster so probably would not stay on anyhow.** Is there such a thing as the correct voltage value as read on a potentiometer that is the ultimate protection goal?** I have a reading of 1volt,* but don't know if thats good or bad!!*** On the hinges,* one of them has wrung off and the other is thinking about it.* I found a young kid who says he can weld them so may as well let him try.* I'll check out your leads Dave and let you know if I find them.

Regards

Graham
*Graham,

I am not qualified to answer your question re: the voltage you should see but you may get a better feel for making that determination by viewing the video at

http://video.answers.com/boating-tips-galvanic-corrosion-161782436

I think you may have let your fingers get ahead of your brain when writing about the broken hinge.* What is the hinge for?

Cheers,

Ed wrote:
*Graham,

(Snip)

I think you may have let your fingers get ahead of your brain when writing about the broken hinge.* What is the hinge for?
*Graham,

OK, I read back in the thread and now understand the hinge issue.

Ed,* Thanks for the video link,* I'll show it to my electrician and see if we can do those same tests, and see what we see !* Great help, thanks.

Regards

Graham

Back
Top Bottom