A photo of my former days as a ragbagger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Was perusing old WoodenBoat magazines and found this in a 1987 article. It looks as if I still had hair then. Trawlers are more comfy.

Attachments

• l16.jpg
    l16.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 84
That is a great shot! It brings back memories. It also illustrates one of the frequent problems with racing sailboats, as the lightest person on board is trying to be "rail meat" and luckily for her and for the guy that brought her along, she never will be heavy enough for that task. The second boat has come to grips with that sad fact and she isn't even trying.

I agree, that photo is composed exactly right & the contrasting colors are terrific!

Hard to believe that the skipper of #13 is now a "stink potter."

SeaHorse II wrote:
I agree, that photo is composed exactly right & the contrasting colors are terrific!

Hard to believe that the skipper of #13 is now a "stink potter."
The photographer is pretty well known. Benjamin Mendlowitz. I'd order a nice print of this from him but it would cost me an arm and a leg.

The skipper of #13 still goes blowboating from time to time, although I enjoy the stinkpotting more.

Beaufiful, David.* It would probably be worth the cost to hang that on the wall.

Looks like sail boats work a bit like modern anchors.........laying on their side.

David,* Great shot-* Sailboats are Cool!** JohnP

dwhatty wrote:JohnP wrote:*Sailboats are Cool!** JohnP
*So are IG32s.

*~The best kept secret on the water!~

Here's one from Pittsburgh, PA.

Attachments

• morry miller's boat.jpg
    morry miller's boat.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 73
*David & Emily

*L 16 a beginners dream.

*Who said sailing was lots of fun 50 years ago ? *We did !

**When Mavis and i were first married, *i used to race on an international one design i used to set and jibe the spinnaker , that is, i was the fore deck monkey .

Mavis *the " bilge girl" stuffed the spinnaker and trimmed *the main sail.*

*Once is was on the fore deck and i had hold of the spinnaker pole on a jibe the boat rolled and i went out over the water *and i am not letting go of that pole , the pole came in *and i finished the jibe.

*A few years later *we used to sit on the dock eating our lunch *looking at boats ,*we dreamed of the day when we could get a sail boat*, then*i bought our first sailboat , you guessed it. ,

*"Sweet Sixteen"*it was an L 16,*we used to race it.

Since then we have had many sailboats, *they all got bigger and bigger and then we started crossing oceans.

**Our eyes are dim and our hair is white *and there is no more sailing.

We still do all our boating together now on a trawler, like you all have.

Donald & Mavis.

Mystic Knights of the Sea

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom