Ferro Cement Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I went to see the 1973 55'-er today. The weather was nice and sunny, but the boat looked depressing. It is quite neglected at the lower level. The salon level is OK, but the rest.... I took pictures and I'll to attach some. My first question is about the hull. It shows some type of wet stains all around. When I asked the broker, he told me it was from the bilge, which has water and oil mix inside. It was never pumped out, before it was put on hard and now it is sipping through the hull. I am not sure, if this is repairable, after the bilge is cleaned out, but it does not look good. Plus, the oil is coming from somewhere, so the engine might have some major issues, too.
How do I attach photos here?

6075-albums552-picture3261t.jpg
6075-albums552-picture3262.jpg

Its totally rooted those brown stains are cancer and the blisters are also cancer .Seen some bad ones but not this bad the oil is actually weeping through the hull .The broker should be shot for even offering to sell it

Last edited:
Its totally rooted those brown stains are cancer and the blisters are also cancer .Seen some bad ones but not this bad the oil is actually weeping through the hull .The broker should be shot for even offering to sell it

Shot? .... no, I would not do that... lol
But I'll walk, for sure. Those oil stains are all around, by the way. Some bigger, some smaller.
Thank you for the honesty!

Golly, that's sad. That boat was once someone's pride and joy, and they obviously put a lot into it.

Run, Run... RUN AWAY!!! :facepalm: :dance:

If the broker wanted to hide it, he`d have it in the water. Assuming of course, that`s possible, without bad consequences.

On the off chance the owner has whacky ideas.... I would not be surprised if he PUT oil in the bilge thinking it would preserve the steel armature as it 'weeped' through the hull.

Last edited:
On the off chance the owner has whacky ideas.... I would not be surprised if he PUT oil in the bilge thinking it would preserve the steel armature as it 'weeped' through the hull.

Maybe so, but oil certainly helps preserve vice-grips and other non-stainless tools that accumulate in bilges.

Picture of damage after a FC ketch hit a marker on the way in to North Bimini,
Brittle and rusty. Starboard bow coaming.

Attachments

• 023C077F-4E0F-4371-84FF-E653914574D2.jpg
    023C077F-4E0F-4371-84FF-E653914574D2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom