Crossover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrobito

Vessel Name
Arcangel
Vessel Make
Buewater 40
After a life sailing, I change my course to engines propulsion...
So here I'm...
I hope make new friends and share histories and knowledge...:D:D:D:D

So here I'm...

Welcome. I made the switch myself this last spring.

Welcome.

Your history of sail will stand you well with many of us who came up through sail and switched to the dark side. I look forward to hearing more of your history and benefiting from your knowledge.

Welcome to the forum! What is this sailing thing you're talking about? :confused::rolleyes::D

Ted

Sailing? Isn't that what happens on Black Friday. Oh wait, I'm thinking of something else. Anyway, welcome aboard. Former sailor here from many, many years ago.

Welcome, "Garrobito" you must have spent some time in Central America.

I had a difficult time switching from sail to power, and did it incompletely.

Welcome, "Garrobito" you must have spent some time in Central America.

...a lot... down there they say I have same sense of humor... :banghead:

PD" "garrobito" is a kind of iguana, living mostly on Nicaragua and El Salvador...

Welcome to the 'refined' part of sailing.... Where you have a level cockpit, drinks don't spill and you can look outside and enjoy the view (and not have to stand up and peek out slit sidelights) OH yeah.... More water for showers, AC and a fridge and bigger bunks. Yeah. You will soon be a 'recovering' sailboater.

So here I'm...

You'll get a few comments, perhaps, about sailing. But just ignore the negative ones. A lot of us here on the Forum started out as sailors. But as age, and a yearning for the creature comforts of life, come upon us, then we graduate to trawlers. It makes the time more easy passing.

Personally, I believe that a good background in sailing, and all the hard lessons learned there, make for a more rounded boater. :)

Best part is piloting in an enclosed helm position, protected from the elements.

My boat has sixteen potential openings to exterior air, but even one pilothouse door opened has been sometimes too much this "record hot summer."

Last edited:
John (jwnall) said: "Personally, I believe that a good background in sailing, and all the hard lessons learned there, make for a more rounded boater."

As a former (and still sometime) sailing yachtsman, I agree wholeheartedly. So does the U.S. Coast Guard and many foreign navies that maintain sail training ships like our USCG barque, the Eagle.

Note that Mark's helm station aboard the Coot features an overhead mounted fan. That's to create the virtual effect of feeling the wind on his face. Only trouble is, he always thinks to himself, "Drat! The wind is dead on the bow, again!"

..for me, get my coffee at the helm station and not have the wind on my face.. or my back it's the best..
I love every mile I did on sailing, every passage... but now, I really appreciate a good, reliable engine and system to make my life easier..
But at the end.. it's about my family safety too... now I have a son and a wife... I remember sailing north from Brazil to Galveston in an open fishing boat (a saveiro)... I was totally crazy!! jajajja...

I went from Prince Rupert BC to Juneau Alaska on a plywood OB cruiser w a 55hp Johnson OB. I did have a small cuddy cabin to sleep in but the rest of the boat including the helm was wide open. I wore a motorcycle helmet w a face shield for rain. This was the best boat trip I have ever taken. Was in Dixon Entrance w seas as big as a house. Rarely saw the horizon. When it was calm near Cape Fanshaw I thought I heard cannons firing but soon it turned out to be a group of Humpback Whales. Anchored off Harbor Is (the entrance to Taku Arm) and watched huge Icebergs the size of aircraft carriers ghosting along in the moonlight.
Yup .. best trip I ever made.

I ran this boat before the cabin was built. Actually there was a tiny cabin about the size of a helm station .. and that's what it was. I designed the boat and built it in the Queen Charlotte Is.

Attachments

• STH71822.jpg
    STH71822.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I went from Prince Rupert BC to Juneau Alaska on a plywood OB cruiser w a 55hp Johnson OB. I did have a small cuddy cabin to sleep in but the rest of the boat including the helm was wide open. I wore a motorcycle helmet w a face shield for rain. This was the best boat trip I have ever taken. Was in Dixon Entrance w seas as big as a house. Rarely saw the horizon. When it was calm near Cape Fanshaw I thought I heard cannons firing but soon it turned out to be a group of Humpback Whales. Anchored off Harbor Is (the entrance to Taku Arm) and wacthed huge Icebergs the size of aircraft carriers gosting along in the moonlight.

Holy crap! More than the usual basic, fundamental passage I'd say. Oc course, there was that one time I cruised full throttle (8.5 knots) through Miami Harbor on the 4 th of July.:blush:

Last edited:
I went from Prince Rupert BC to Juneau Alaska on a plywood OB cruiser w a 55hp Johnson OB. I did have a small cuddy cabin to sleep in but the rest of the boat including the helm was wide open. I wore a motorcycle helmet w a face shield for rain. This was the best boat trip I have ever taken. Was in Dixon Entrance w seas as big as a house. Rarely saw the horizon. When it was calm near Cape Fanshaw I thought I heard cannons firing but soon it turned out to be a group of Humpback Whales. Anchored off Harbor Is (the entrance to Taku Arm) and watched huge Icebergs the size of aircraft carriers ghosting along in the moonlight.

I ran this boat before the cabin was built. Actually there was a tiny cabin about the size of a helm station .. and that's what it was. I designed the boat and built it in the Queen Charlotte Is.

Wooww.. what a trip!! :eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom