View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
DonF

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Maguffin
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Ford Lehman 135 low power operation

I like to cruise at a low to moderate power level. Unfortunately that creates some buildup in the cylinders (guessing carbon buildup). I typically run at ~ 900 and 1200 rpm. I am (at least to me) drastically over propped at 24"X24" 4 blade (factory was 24"X20" 4 blade) PO changed the prop and the WOT rpm is ~2100 with a clean bottom.

Looking for some suggestions on how often, how long and at what load I should run the engine to keep it clean. IE every 10 hours run at 3/4 load for 15 minutes, or every 20 hours run at WOT for 15 minutes. What is reasonable and will help keep the engine clean. As I was getting it ready to pull for the winter I ran it for about 15 minutes at WOT (after warming it up for over a hour) and it smoked for the first 5 minutes. Quite a bit for the first couple of minutes. The last 5 minutes no smoke was seen coming out of the exhaust.

I would appreciate any feed back on this as I don't want to ruin the engine.

I am new to diesel engines and also would like feed back on being over propped. I am thinking of switching back to a 24"X20" prop as I feel the factory would supply the optimum prop for the boat (GB32 1985)

Thanks in advance for the help Don