View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Dougcole
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I have a 8KW diesel Kohler in my Mainship 400 (as do most Mainships, I think). It has about 600 hours on it, 500 or so from me since 2013.

I've had two breakdowns in that time. A start relay failed while we were in the Bahamas and I was able to repair it myself. Luckily my mechanic foretold that failure and I had a spare on board. Access to the relay is pretty easy if you know where it to look but it is hidden behind a panel. I also had the temp sensor fail, which caused the genset to shut down after a few minutes of run time. I was local when that happened. It was a $25 part and a pretty easy repair.

We tend to use the generator heavily for about a month out of the year when we go to the Bahamas then not much after that. I run it under load for 30 minutes or so at the dock every month or so to keep it happy.

The original installation did not allow reasonable access so I had to remove the sound shield but that's not the genset's fault. I don't notice much sound difference without the shield, but our genset is in the Lazerette.

It's been a good unit, it runs our split AC system, electric stove, fridge, separate freezer and battery charger all at the same time with no issues.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote