View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Sunnydays

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Lisa J II
Vessel Model: Ocean Aleaxander 50 MK II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
I have a 1985 OA Flushdeck motor yacht; this was one of the last vessels built utilizing the Mk 1 hull (the deckhouse is different to the Mk 1 pilothouse design). I spent some time researching the various hull extensions that have been developed over the years to correct the too-small cockpit on an otherwise near-perfect design. Literally extending the hull (and without even considering re-locating engines & running gear, which would be plain crazy) is far too costly. However I did find a very happy compromise, which was to engage a naval architect to work with a skilled boatbuilder to create a boarding platform add-on with complete structural integrity. An image of the completed platform is attached. It creates a 2.5m extension including a big usable boarding platform and storage lockers. Half this width is literally a boarding platform suspended on glassed-in members above the water; the lattice deck copes with following-sea surges. The inner half of the extension IS a hull extension, fitted to the original hull and maintaining its below waterline lines but starting 300mm or so in from each side so we didn't even need to touch the exhausts. The interior of this inner half contains a ballast tank that I keep filled with fresh water, to offset the increased displacement of the additional hull volume. Because the 'real' below-the-waterline extension is only about 1.2m, there has been no impact on handling at all. Hull speed improved by around 0.75knts. Have been in very big seas with no issues. All works very well and didn't break the bank. I have during-construction images if any would like to see them: just PM me for them.
I am interested in viewing the pictures of your transom extension. What a great improvement. I have a OA 50MK11 and getting on and off the boat is a chore. Not getting any younger. Looking forward to viewing your pictures.
Sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote