Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
JackD
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
If your tossing the old motor, use a sawzall with metal cutting blade.
Put a towel around near etc... it to catch the metal bits.
Then you can remove the leftovers from the arm.
New blade on new motor is a slip type fit. Use anti seize or marine grease to keep it from seizing.

Is there a nut holding it on?
You could try a pry bar, maybe one on each side and some spray rust buster and a block of wood against the FG. But the saw is easy, and prying might crack the gel coat.
Thanks for the direction. I was trying to be more surgical about it and don't think about bringing my sawzall aboard too often. (Second favorite tool next to the Sonicrafter!). Anyhow, yes there was a nut on the outside, when loosened allowed me to pull the motor on the inside away from the fiberglass, enough to cut the shaft and remove the motor.

Back on the workbench at home, I discovered a tiny set screw in the shaft where it connects to the wiper arm. Backed that off and a couple of taps with a nail set drove the pin out of the arm. I expected to find a part # on the inside, but NO, that would be too simple. They show a multitude of models on the Marinco web site. The shaft size 1.5" or 2.5" is the primary factory. Besides that all of the other options are for the preset sweep angle, which can be adjusted on any of them to a wide range. $180 part is on its way. Probably would have been a $500 bill had I let the marina guys do this for me.
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote