Toilet Tissue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People have been using it in marine toilets for years...it's also available from Sams and Costco.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading in Peggy's book (I believe) that any cheap single-ply will work well.

By the way, there will be extra points awarded at the TF Gathering for those who come by boat wearing shoes.

Where and when is this TF gathering? I'll be at the St. Petersburg boat show Dec 1-4 giving seminars...if it's anywhere around that time, I might drop by and say hi.

the Scott rapid disolving gets the thumbs up from users on my boat.....not literally thumbs up... ��

it has not been a problem after 5 years living aboard and in bulk doesn't cost that much.

If Oliver isn't there I'll wear shoes.

I seem to remember reading in Peggy's book (I believe) that any cheap single-ply will work well.

I've been using Scotts single ply toilet paper (from the supermarket) for may years without a problem. It's not labeled specifically for boats but I believe it does say something about being safe for septic systems.

So is this paper somehow better or is it just a different label?

This TP is different. It has the feel of a much heavier paper than the 1-ply from the supermarket. I was kind of surprised by the perceived quality and softness. It is also more resistant to "puncture." :nonono:

This TP is different. It has the feel of a much heavier paper than the 1-ply from the supermarket. I was kind of surprised by the perceived quality and softness. It is also more resistant to "puncture." :nonono:
yep, the girls vote it in over anything from the supermarket single ply and over the Camco RV paper from sources.

but it's only an opinion...and not even mine.[emoji1]

Marine/RV TP is just cheap flimsy TP at a much higher price. I learned that 20 years ago when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio. During a tour of the plant I watched an employee take a brand of cheap TP out of a case and put it in marine/rv bags.

The quickest way to find out whether any TP is ok for use in a marine toilet is to tear off a couple of sheets and put 'em in a mason jar full of water (or any container if you don't have a mason jar)...come back in an hour and shake the jar or stir the water. If the water is milky and all you see is "snow," it's just fine for use in any marine toilet...but if the sheets are still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.

And btw...an overload of even quick-dissolve TP can clog a toilet. But if that's ALL it is, just wait 30 minutes and try flushing again. Unless somebody flushed something they shouldn't have--like a wet wipe--the clog will have dissolved enough to be flushed through to the tank.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Tried a bunch of single-ply versions. Flimsy enough so that "more paper" was a common solution. Corn cobs and catalog pages seemed slightly more comfortable.

We've gone back to using comfortable 2-ply TP. No apparent problems. The macerator seems to handle pretty much everything that would be considered reasonable.

-Chris

can't seem to delete my real post....

Last edited:
By the way, there will be extra points awarded at the TF Gathering for those who come by boat wearing shoes.

Where and when is this TF gathering? I'll be at the St. Petersburg boat show Dec 1-4 giving seminars...if it's anywhere around that time, I might drop by and say hi.

Hi Peggie,

We would consider you an honored guest at the TF SE Florida gathering. However, the dates are FEB 2-5, 2017 in Fort Pierce.

As for Scott TP on Scot's boat all TP on Scot's boat is Scot's.

We buy cheap one ply at the grocery store. Cheap the better. We fold 4 times which holds. Tp used for#1 is put in a trash can, so #2 goes down the toilet. We flush the#2 down before the TP and use a lot of water. If we used 2 play then we fold 2 or 3 times. Land people seem to use to much tp, over fill the toilet before flushing, don't flush often and not enough water.

Also use the pad of the fingers not the tip.

Last edited:
A charter captain I worked for always told customers not to put anything in the head they haven't eaten first until a customer replied "So that thing can flush my ex-wife".

I dislike thin, weak, non-absorbent toilet paper. Always prefer thick, strong, and absorbent. In the boat, the soiled tissues go into a lidded waste basket for later, on-shore disposal, not the toilet.

Costco brand. Works, in all possible connotations, well.

I find it hard to believe (and disgusting) that some people save their used toilet paper rather than flushing it down the head. I certainly wouldn't want to ask a guest to do that.

My wife and I have been flushing our toilet paper down the head since we first got a boat with a head without issue.

For those of you who want a strong, environmentally friendly, and traditionally manufactured toilet paper (The Headmistress probably won't approve of its use in marine heads) there is this:

On the one hand (no pun) I guess our potty habits have remained terrestrial as we have always (last 6 yrs) flushed all types of toilet paper through our Tecma heads. On the other hand our sanitation system hasn't had any problems. Of course now that I've revealed this I expect the holding tank to explode.
-David

I find it hard to believe (and disgusting) that some people save their used toilet paper rather than flushing it down the head. I certainly wouldn't want to ask a guest to do that.

And I thought I was squeamish.

What would do you do with used "feminine Hygiene products" baby diapers, or Depends?

I dislike thin, weak, non-absorbent toilet paper. Always prefer thick, strong, and absorbent. In the boat, the soiled tissues go into a lidded waste basket for later, on-shore disposal, not the toilet.

Some charter companies require this approach.

I knew this thread would be going down the toilet.

The manual of our new Marine Elegance Raritan head says the kind of TP doesn't matter. However, we put it in a trash can and don't flush it anyway. It isn't disgusting at all. Just biology. Just preventive maintenance. We don't expect our guests to do it. We give them the choice, but nobody seems the least bit phased with doing it. Anyway, the point is, we buy the same stuff we use at home and it is worth the effort.

As we are down to the nitty gritty(literally with David`s Artisinal TP), if you use single ply you`ll double it, so get 2 ply. Minimize usage, follow with wet wipes,they go in a small bin with liner bag,not the head of course.
And wash your hands thoroughly!Think cruise ship, most people come home with either an OCD hand washing fetish, or gastro.

That's just plain discussing :nonono:

We don't "save" our paper either but have when aboard w others that do and you might be surprised that there is less smell than the garbage.
I think of Peggy's point that w oxygen and aerobic breakdown there is no foul smell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom