Hello from Los Angeles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

methridg

Vessel Name
Satori
Vessel Make
34' Golden Star
Good day all. Just bought "Satori", a 1984 34' Taiwanese trawler. We'll keep her in the current slip here in San Pedro, just a few blocks from our house.

We've been chartering sailboats for years, but I've been keeping an eye on the trawler market for a while now. I like boats with character (pain-in-the-ass wood and teak), rather than all the white plastic that's so easy to clean. Saw "Satori" for sale and it was perfect. The previous owner posted on these boards a few times about things he was working on, so you may remember the boat. It's in great shape and the wife and I are looking forward to finding out if actually owning a boat is for us.

I've got a few project already begun; stripping out a lot of old, unused wires; and then installing an overboard macerator pump along with replacing the aging holding tank.

I'm looking forward to asking a whole bunch of dumb questions about everything.

-Mike

Attachments

• Satori.jpg
    Satori.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 145
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat!

Ted

Congratulations, Mike!

Be careful with the overboard discharge, you do not want to accidentally pump out until well offshore (3 miles I believe is the magic number).

Congratulations, Mike!

Be careful with the overboard discharge, you do not want to accidentally pump out until well offshore (3 miles I believe is the magic number).

For sure. Just makes things easier when going to/from Catalina.

Did you have the boat surveyed before sale? The PO had installed some replacement tanks in the short period he owned the boat. The prior PO of several years was also a member here on TF.

I meet the PO a few months ago and got a tour. Great looking boat, love the bow and stern thrusters.

Attachments

• 20160522_141946.jpg
    20160522_141946.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 55
Did you have the boat surveyed before sale? The PO had installed some replacement tanks in the short period he owned the boat. The prior PO of several years was also a member here on TF.

Yes, I had the boat surveyed in the water and then hauled it out to inspect below the water line. Nothing extraordinary, just some minor things to take care of.

I saw the posts on this board about the water tanks. I'll be adding some additional bracing, but there's actually already more than what's shown in the pictures he posted here.

I meet the PO a few months ago and got a tour. Great looking boat, love the bow and stern thrusters.

Indeed, the thrusters were a big part of what drew me to the boat. Hopefully shouldn't have to use them a whole lot. The bow thruster doesn't move the boat too much, but the stern thruster works really well.

Welcome aboard from a former SoCal boater.
Congrats on your new boat.

Mike,

Kudos on Satori!!! Were you at the LA boat show in San Pedro this past weekend?

We saw a couple of Grand Banks fixers that looked like good deals.

Back
Top Bottom