The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I have to say Lutin is just gorgeous.

Grand Banks are fine boats and she is an excellent example of the marque.You should be very proud of her.

Oh, and by the way welcome aboard to the good ship Trawler Forum.

As tradition dictates that boats are usually referred to in the feminine form should she not be Lutine?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! We have many of your cousins here in Louisiana, I live in Thibodaux, my wife was a Boudreaux, one son in Lafayette, the other in Baton Rouge, A few miles up Bayou Lafourche is Napoleonville etc.

Well, I have to say Lutin is just gorgeous.

Grand Banks are fine boats and she is an excellent example of the marque.You should be very proud of her.

Oh, and by the way welcome aboard to the good ship Trawler Forum.

As tradition dictates that boats are usually referred to in the feminine form should she not be Lutine?

Thank you Andy, I truly appreciate your very nice welcome and your gallantry. As I was asked by Pete and Bacchus to introduce myself and the boat I then thought I should share the video.

You brought an interesting discussion. The exact reason why ships are called “she” in the English language is lost to history. A few years ago I asked this to a friend of mine who is a USCG officer somewhere on the US West coast. Bellow you can find her response which I copy and paste from her email :

"A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.”

It is quite true and very funny. But having studied the Latin scholar my own opinion is the early term for a ship, specifically in Latin, was the word "navis," which was a feminine term which translates as "ship."

Pleasure boats are still called a "She" because men love them !

Which answer do you like best ? :)

French language has "male", "female" and sometimes "neuter" words. Even though there is a word for "Lutine" which was brought to North America by French settlers, the French mythological figure for "Lutin" is a male humanoid creature. His name emanates from the linguistic influence of Roman sea-god Neptune and Nereus (Neptune's father). Because of his small size he is well know for his mischievousness, playfulness, facetiousness, always pleasant, who cannot stand rudeness, but not exclusively. He is most well know as well for his habit of household protection including caring at sea for people aboard while in dangerous situation, in the memory of his ancestor Neptune.

Best wishes,

P.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 74
Welcome to the forum! We have many of your cousins here in Louisiana, I live in Thibodaux, my wife was a Boudreaux, one son in Lafayette, the other in Baton Rouge, A few miles up Bayou Lafourche is Napoleonville etc.

Louisianans are know for their "Joie de vivre", it might be the French roots... :)

Here we have a nice saying for the French visiting the US. "No matter where in America you go, New Orleans is always a part of you".

I empathize with your circumstances due to severe floods and hope everyone around you is doing well.

P.

Hi Pete

Thanks for your PM.

I sent Emails with pictures.

Best wishes

P.

Yes, and thanks for that, Pilou. You live and boat in a beautiful part of the world. I was pleased to be able to read your email without cheating with a translator...however...my reply may take a bit longer. :eek:

Yes, and thanks for that, Pilou. You live and boat in a beautiful part of the world. I was pleased to be able to read your email without cheating with a translator...however...my reply may take a bit longer. :eek:

Not a problem. Time is free :)

Paul Getty Jr's yacht.

This morning "Lutin" met Paul Getty Jr's yacht "Talitha" in Antibes.

Krupp Germaniawerft built Reveler, a Cox & Stevens design, for Packard Automobiles’ Chairman Russell Alger.

At the onset of World War II she became the USS Beaumont, a name she kept until 1947 when she was decommissioned and refitted at Bath Iron Works for the owner of the Woolworth department store chain. Woolworth then sold her to Greek shipping businessman Marias Embiricos, who kept me her for 26 years.

She got her name Jezebel from Australian film producer Robert Stigwood, her next owner, who undertook a refit that restored much of her original elegance.

But it would take yet another owner, American businessman Paul Getty, and at least one more major transformation for Talitha G to look much as she does today. In 1993, Jon Bannenberg oversaw the yacht’s interior redesign at Devonport Yachts, where new twin 1400hp Caterpillar engines were installed. Aside from time in the yard, Talitha G has been a favorite charter yacht for years. She attracted the eye of another film producer and director; before allegedly taking delivery of his own yacht, American movie director Steven Spielberg was onboard often enough to be identified at least once as the yacht’s owner, but she remains the property of the Getty family.

Cox & Stevens designs for the original Reveler are part of part of the Cox & Stevens collection at the Mystic Seaport Museum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 73
Yacht Shemara / one million man-hour rebuild project

Antibes, yesterday 3:45 PM local time, meeting with a 78-year-old passionate love affair between men and the sea, always taken up as time goes by : "Madame" SHEMARA.

From Boat International Magazine / 16 January 2015 by Tim Thomas:
"Superyacht Shemara: the 65m classic motor yacht is restored to her former glory.
The 65-metre superyacht Shemara has been successfully relaunched after a three-year, one million man-hour rebuild project. Originally launched by JL Thornycroft in the UK in 1938, the classic motor yacht Shemara led a colourful life in the public spotlight under her original owners, industrialist Sir Bernard Docker and his wife Lady Norah. Sold at the end of the 1960s, her second owner cruised her for a short period before berthing her in Lowestoft, UK, where she remained largely forgotten for the better part of three decades. Her third owner saw her in the pages of Boat International magazine in 2007, went to see her and instantly fell in love. It was the start of a seven-year journey to bring her back to her former glory.

Shemara was towed to Portsmouth, UK, and hauled out in October 2010. Her new owner set up Shemara Refit LLP to be run by friend and business partner Peter Morton, who then set about recruiting naval architects from BAE along with several subcontractor companies, including Burgess Marine for the mechanical and structural elements, SEC Marine for the electrical installation, Design Unlimited for the GA and Studioilsa for interior design. The ensuing project – lasting three and a half years and taking one million man hours – has seen her reconfigured, refreshed, and largely rebuilt. The result is stunning, retaining her original character but with far superior spaces both on deck and within, and with all mod cons added – including a Rolls-Royce diesel-electric drive train with twin azimuthing pods aft instead of conventional shafts.

As one of the largest private yachts in existence when launched, Shemara epitomised the glamorous lifestyle of the rich and famous. Restoring her to her former glory would prove to be a serious undertaking, but the rebuild has been done sympathetically, retaining the elegance and charm of the original both inside and out while reconfiguring the interior and deck spaces for modern living".

Don't miss more at : Superyacht Shemara: the 65m classic motor yacht is restored to her former glory | Boat International

Best,

Pilou.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
A beautiful old dame of the sea , indeed, Pilou. What a stern. Sensuous even..?:blush:

Super yacht Dilbar in Antibes

Today.
512', Dilbar is the world's largest superyacht by volume.

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpg
    IMG_6538.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 69
Yacht Dilbar - Fact Sheet
Yacht Name: Dilbar
Yacht Length: 157 m (512 ft)
Guests: 40 in 20 cabins (est)
Crew: 80+ in 35 cabins (est)
Yacht Value: US$ 600 million
Owners Name: Alisher Usmanov
Usmanov Net Worth: US$ 13 billion
Owners Company: Metalloinvest
Owners Country: Russia

Yacht Dilbar - Fact Sheet
Yacht Name: Dilbar
Yacht Length: 157 m (512 ft)
Guests: 40 in 20 cabins (est)
Crew: 80+ in 35 cabins (est)
Yacht Value: US$ 600 million
Owners Name: Alisher Usmanov
Usmanov Net Worth: US$ 13 billion
Owners Company: Metalloinvest
Owners Country: Russia

It makes me kind of ask, "Why?".

It makes me kind of ask, "Why?".

Even if Alicher Usmanov is a sea & long range cruising lover of renown, I can't answer the question about the "Why ?" but I'm sure that many local companies like the relevant suppliers, the providers of services aboard, the engineering and contractor companies that dredged the harbor, and their employees, are very happy :).

Last edited:
Was that pic taken in Rhodes? Is that the harbor that was deepened for Dilbar? That looks like a Knights Hospatelier structure in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Was that pic taken in Rhodes? Is that the harbor that was deepened for Dilbar? That looks like a Knights Hospatelier structure in the background.

No , I took that pic yesterday Friday September 23th (right now it's Saturday 24th in France) in Antibes (homeport of Dilbar) going out with my boat for the weekend.
Structures in the background are the old lighthouse of Antibes and the tower of Pablo Picasso's museum.

Last edited:
Geo tag

Attachments

• Fichier 24-09-2016 00 34 38.jpeg
    Fichier 24-09-2016 00 34 38.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Fichier 24-09-2016 00 38 51.jpeg
    Fichier 24-09-2016 00 38 51.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 60
Pilou, you live in a very nice neighborhood. ?

The term "kind of"... is an understatement in this instance. :ermm:

Art, guess what ? Before having had taken delivery of his (new) Dilbar in May 2016, Alisher Usmanov had a 361' Lurssen named Dilbar (named after his mother).

The previous Dilbar is now named Ona, but stil owned by Alicher Usmanov.

After my meeting yesterday afternoon with (new) Dilbar in the port of Antibes, meeting this morning with Ona (former Dilbar), on her way to the dock of the International Yacht Club of Antibes, I took 2 pics.

Cheers

P.

Attachments

• Fichier 24-09-2016 21 43 08.jpg
    Fichier 24-09-2016 21 43 08.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6626.jpg
    IMG_6626.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6630.jpg
    IMG_6630.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 48
Pilou, you live in a very nice neighborhood. ?

Thanks MG. You are living in a very nice area of the US which is offering many possibilities of great sailings in the Gulf of Mexico from Texas (love Galveston) to Florida.

Louisiana especially "Nouvelle Orléans" is very special to the French. Here we have a nice saying for the French visiting the US. "No matter where in America you go, New Orleans is always a part of you".

About the Picasso Museum in Antibes (pic attached). The Picasso Museum is in the seaside Chateau Grimaldi in the old town of Antibes, a Roman fort built upon the foundations of the ancient Greek town of Antipolis. The Chateau Grimaldi was rebuilt in the 14th century, later in 1608 the Chateau was the residence of the Grimaldi family (a branch of which still rules the Principaly of Monaco) before being turned into a town hall during the French Revolution, then in 1925 it was bought by the city of Antibes.

It is the first museum in the world to be devoted to Pablo Picasso.

In the summer of 1946, Picasso and his girlfriend Françoise Gilot left Paris and headed for Antibes. Pablo Picasso was invited to set up his studio in a part of the château, called the Grimaldi Museum at the time. At the end of his stay, he left the city 23 paintings and 44 drawings, including the famous work Joie de Vivre. On December 27, 1966, in homage to the artist, the Grimaldi Château became the Picasso Museum.

Today, you can admire about 245 of the artist's works as well paintings and sculptures by other modern and contemporary artists such as Nicholas de Staël, Hans Hartung, Fernand Léger and Joan Miro.

Picasso himself said, 'If you want to see the Picassos from Antibes, you have to see them in Antibes'. It's an opportunity to breathe in the air and soak up the atmosphere of a place that inspired a man widely regarded as one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

It was the same feeling that I had experienced some years ago after visiting The Salvador Dalí Museum in St Petersburg (Florida), the most comprehensive collection of Dalí's paintings outside of Europe, soak in the brilliance as you are surrounded by an unparalleled collection of more than 2,000 works of art in 20,000 square feet of gallery space.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" (Pablo Picasso).

Please permit me to add "Art AND the sea breeze"...

Cheers

P.

Attachments

• MUSEUM.jpg
    MUSEUM.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 51
Pilou, thank you for that explanation. Having lived in New Orleans for over 40 years now, it is really 'home' to me now as compared to Scotland where I grew up and where all my relatives are. It's a vibrant city and if you can get away from the Tourist trap of Bourbon Street, there is a lot of art, history, music and innovative food culture to be found. I know Gulf of Mexico ports like the back of my hand now and am looking forward to further flung adventures. Maybe one day Scot Free will find its way to the Med and I will be able to visit Antibes and see the Picasso museum for myself. ?

Pilou, thank you for that explanation. Having lived in New Orleans for over 40 years now, it is really 'home' to me now as compared to Scotland where I grew up and where all my relatives are. It's a vibrant city and if you can get away from the Tourist trap of Bourbon Street, there is a lot of art, history, music and innovative food culture to be found. I know Gulf of Mexico ports like the back of my hand now and am looking forward to further flung adventures. Maybe one day Scot Free will find its way to the Med and I will be able to visit Antibes and see the Picasso museum for myself. ��

I have been to many places in the US - even Pearl Harbor - , more than 25 states but Louisiana, which is a place I should visit someday. "Vibrant" seems to be the best adjective for the city of New Orleans, I'm always excited to experience a new local culture especially in a place historically linked with my country.

Looking at both your screen name and your boat's it was not hard to guess you have Scottish roots. In one month from now I will be sailing from Aberdeen (North Sea) to Inverness then to Isle of Mull (Atlantic ocean) cutting through the Loch Ness.

Each sea is emotion incarnate, I trust you would enjoy to cruise the beautiful Med which is the cradle of freedom and of many civilizations. Contrary to what ignorant people believe, the French love the Americans and the British with whom we are always pleased to share our history, our culture, our stories. I would tour you to the Chateau Grimaldi / Picasso museum in Antibes, as well the Grimaldi Palace in Monaco.

SEA you.

P.

Last edited:
Hi Pilou, the trip through Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal should be awesome.. When in Mull, try to stop in Tobermory. There is a distillery there that makes Tobermory single malt which is an average to better than average whiskey but it turns to nectar if you drink it in the pub next to the distillery using a spritz of water from the same spring as the whiskey was made from.
Also, two other things to see, on the other side of the island is the monastery of St Columba who established a beach head for Christianity in the 6th century, having come over from Ireland. The monastery has been in more or less continuous use for 15 centuries. Amazing. And then if you go further offshore you will see the magnificent Fingals Cave which is sculpted by nature out of octagonal basalt rock. The cave is reported to be the inspiration for Mendelssohn for writing his Hebrides Suite.
Bon Voyage!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom