Replacing Carpet With Vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
This would be a one piece floor glued to plywood. Do you think the vinyl would give enough sound and heat reduction for the salon. Was going to go with wood but was told that with the different temps in the boat the panels may contract and leave gaps. ANY IDEAS !!!!

We just redid the saloon floor with Lonseal Lonwood teak and holly. This product is pretty much bullet proof and needs no maintenance products. It's a bit spendy but looks great.

Last edited:
Laminate flooring may work very well in your example. There are many forms of new laminate that look very similar to wood and are rather "green" as well....

Ch

Or glue down sheet cork first then vinyl on top. Cork will give you some insulating value.

Thanks,,, Will check into the cork

This would be a one piece floor glued to plywood. Do you think the vinyl would give enough sound and heat reduction for the salon.

It will give neither. Or at least very little of either.

If you want any sound and heat reduction you're going to need to use some type of padding at the very least I would think.

Not sure if that is possible with vinyl flooring.

If you're stuck on going with vinyl the other thing you could try is increasing the insulation on the engine space side of the flooring and making sure any hatches in the vinyl floor have a good seal on them.

I'm also planning to replace my carpet with a "wood look" vinyl floor. I've been experimenting with some "peel & stick" pieces but they seem to bubble up in the heat of direct sunlight which creates a small gap between them.
I'm now leaning toward a solid sheet of vinyl that I can cut out for hatches, etc.

Put your sound and heat control under the sole.

I paint our floor w quality floor/patio paint. Lasts and lasts. Mine is fairly dark green.

I realize though that paint is not yachty enough for most.

Consider going with pre-finished teak parquet. It's what I used to replace all the carpet on my own boat. 12 x 12 squares make it easy to put hatches--long ones 12" wide, rectangles any size that's a multiple of 12--where you want them. Because the "tiles" have finished edges, no need for any trim around them...just countersink ring pull assembly. Looks elegant, can be dressed up with inexpensive genuine fake oriental throw rugs and/or runner on high traffic areas, strips of rubber "waffle weave" shelf liners under 'em make 'em non-skid.

You may find the plywood under the carpet to be pretty rough and not suitable for direct application of vinyl flooring. I did. Also, you may have to deal with large gaps around hatches.

It can be done (I used vinyl teak and holly in individual strips) but it may turn out to be more difficult than you first thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom