interesting device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a take off on something I saw used to stop a leak that was about to sink a submarine in a movie. That one was a big sheet metal (looked like aluminum) collar with a flange at each end that wrapped around about a 6" pipe and was secured with screws/bolts & nuts through the flanges. Something like that could easily be made smaller to use on boats a lot smaller than submarines.

damage control is definitely a MacGyver talent...not something learned in books.

Looks like a take off on something I saw used to stop a leak that was about to sink a submarine in a movie. That one was a big sheet metal (looked like aluminum) collar with a flange at each end that wrapped around about a 6" pipe and was secured with screws/bolts & nuts through the flanges. Something like that could easily be made smaller to use on boats a lot smaller than submarines.

What you described is called a Robar clamp. Common in Public Works and water pipe repair in industry.

Not so common in submarines. :)

We used a Vise-Grip chain wrench and a strong back, with band it strapping to hold it together.

For damage control equipment on my boat, I have a few different types of Belzona (2311 and 1221), some polyurethane pipe wrap, and some Scotch 70 silicon tape.

I do have a chain wrench on board. Not sure why...

I favor Rescue Tape, but keep sheet rubber and clamps handy as well. I don't consider any of these fixes as they are more temporary in nature, but they're hopefully enough to allow you to get to your next destination or home for proper repairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom