Need opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whphil

Vessel Name
ALEGRIA
Vessel Make
48' Sea Master Aft Cabin
What is a better deal of 40 Best Way Marine Trader Labelle or 41 president with Lehman turbos Marine Prater would Volvo turbo both 87 models both about the same condition both about the same price thanks for your opinion in advance Bill

I have heard that before Thanks Bill

Volvo vs. Lehman

I've never owned a boat with Volvo engines. My current Hatteras 48 LRC has Lehman 120's (I understand only 2 of the Hatteras 48 LRC's had them) and I have been extremely pleased with their performance and durability. We cruised the Sea of Cortez and the Mexican mainland for 10 years putting many hours on the 30+ year old engines with minimal issues. Even though they haven't manufactured the engine in many years, aftermarket parts are easy to find and reasonably priced. We needed to rebuild one of the engines due to a cracked piston that was my fault (sucked a plastic bag into the sea water intake) and didn't clear out the bits and pieces of impeller in the oil coolers and heat exchanger. New oversized pistons, rings, etc were shipped to Mexico and arrived in less than a week. Keep them from overheating, change the oil regularly and keep clean fuel running through them and they will last you 10,000 hours

What is a better deal of 40 Best Way Marine Trader Labelle or 41 president with Lehman turbos Marine Prater would Volvo turbo both 87 models both about the same condition both about the same price thanks for your opinion in advance Bill

I would be surprised if anyone on the forum would choose Volvo over Lehman. However, the issue shouldn't be decided simply by brand. Until you know the condition of both boats and both engines, there is no answer.

I would be surprised if anyone on the forum would choose Volvo over Lehman. However, the issue shouldn't be decided simply by brand. Until you know the condition of both boats and both engines, there is no answer.

I was also interested if there was a lot difference in workmanship in the president and marine trader

We have a 1987 President 41 with 225 Lehmans. Love it. Great support from American Diesel.

Back
Top Bottom