34 Trawler, mattress lift springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
PatsyRay
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship Trawler
We have a 2004 34T and want to install lift springs to raise the mattress for access to the storage area. The weight of the mattress is too heavy for my wife to raise lid. Has anyone solved this problem? Thanks Ray in Scottsboro, Al. on the Tennessee River.

What about gas struts that lift automotive tailgates? If it was like ours, just hinge the head end of the bed board and install two struts to HELP with the lift. It might take some fairly heavy duty ones, but if you fashion a "kickstand" prop, they don't need to carry the entire weight. It just needs to reduce the lifting force by, what... 50%? 75%? You can get some to test with at the local junkyard. Heck, get some of a RAV4 or Cadillac and it can be push-button with the added bonus of already being a 12V system :)

I know the 34T as I owned one for several years.

It would take some clever engineering to make it work whether you used gas lift springs or 12V lifts. You would have to install the mattress on a piece of 1/2" or maybe 3/4" plywood to form a lifting base. Then you would have to cut out pockets in the bottom of the bed for the lifting springs to have a place to mount underneath the plywood base. You need to install the springs so that when the matress is flat they are mounted at about a 30 deg angle so they have some lifting force.

Another approach is a couple of blocks and tackle to hoist it up. But that would be pretty klugy looking.

I agree that the mattress is heavy. Can I come help?

David

Thanks, Tom,David & craig, I like your ideas. The gas strut application sounds the most doable. The bed is already hinged but very hard to lift to get to the storage area, bending the mattress and bedding is what makes it tough. I am sure 34 Mainship Trawler owners have this same problem. Mainship made the storage very nice with cedar dividers and prop to hold it open, but just too hard to lift. Thanks for the inputs. Ray

I saw this thread and wanted to ask the 34T owners what width is you mattress? I have only been on one 34T, but the mattress seemed smaller than the one on the 40T. Do you know if it is at least 4.4 feet wide at its widest point? That would be the next size down from a queen

I saw this thread and wanted to ask the 34T owners what width is you mattress?
MS400
Our '08 MS 34HT mattress us 60" widest...about 40" W near foot and 78" long.
We find it fairly roomy & comfy
Not sure about other era 34's

Here again with the motorhome analogy but both of my previous Newells had a bed lift. One was an air actuated ram and the other was electric. They lifted a queen memory foam mattress easily with a push of a button.
The pneumatic rams would also help and they come in various lengths and weight capacities. Here is a source for info: https://www.asraymond.com/struts.html

Here again with the motorhome analogy but both of my previous Newells had a bed lift. One was an air actuated ram and the other was electric. They lifted a queen memory foam mattress easily with a push of a button.
The pneumatic rams would also help and they come in various lengths and weight capacities. Here is a source for info: https://www.asraymond.com/struts.html

And out Pace Arrow has gas struts, and they work fine. No recess, but out mattress is on a piece of 1/2" plywood that has a piano hinge, so only the bottom 2/3rds raises up, which gives plenty of good access to the storage below.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom