Kill Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I was in the ER today doing some small maintenance and thought I would take a pic of this just to validate my thinking.

I assume that this is a kill button should I need to kill the engine when in the ER? It has pass through wires running upwards towards the PH where the engine stop buttons are.

Attachments

• killbutton.jpg
    killbutton.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 136
The pic looks like it goes to the crankshaft pulley. Mechanical tach drive? The red being a cap.

That button does not look to be electric if that is what you were implying. That looks like a zerk grease fitting on the side of the yellow housing. So it is probably a push//pull cable. It could very well be connected mechanically to a kill lever on the helm, but that is a strange way of doing it rather than just electrically.

Follow the cable up to the helm and see where it goes.

David

Do you have any Glendenning components?

Controls, syncronizer, tach input?

Looks like a Glendenning component.

I have the Lugger guy coming for annual maintenance and plan to stay in the ER with him to watch what he does and how he does it. I have a few questions to ask him - one being this.

The boat was rigged with a MEPS Seapower System set up, but the previous owner disconnected it because of the fuel cost, it may have something to do with that?

So much to learn about this boat's systems, much will have to wait until I start using her less!

Do you have any Glendenning components?

Controls, syncronizer, tach input?

Looks like a Glendenning component.

I do, controls with warm sync. No tach.

That's my guess...a Glendenning input to sync and or controls.

Post a pic of the side of the engine with the injection pump. If not clear which side that is, post a pic of both sides.

Item in photo looks like a tach or sync box drive.

Here you go. I think it is Glendinning. See the lines running from the button to the Glendinning box.

But what exactly is it and what does the button actually do. Is it a grease pump button?

Attachments

• P1000909.jpg
    P1000909.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P1000910.jpg
    P1000910.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 67
  • P1000912.jpg
    P1000912.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Can't tell from your pics...

Yes that is a grease fitting.

It is either a tach takeoff...or a synch takeoff.

The red capped thing???

Send the pics to a Glendenning tech.....they have great customer service.

Used to be the sync tech in the area...but never saw a setup with your termination and red cap.

If wires come out of the red capped thing...I will guess tach to electric tach....the red cap could be for a cable to go to their box style synch....which I guess you don't have?

Last edited:
Could the red thing be a cap covering a grease fitting or adjustment screw or something?

I'm betting if you took off the red cap (With the engine off) you'd see the end of the tach cable, with the flat key spot on it. Something (synch or other performance item) used to be attached. It looks like the red plastic cap is just to keep crud out of the end of the tach. Maybe a PO installed the tach cable and ran out of money for the rest of the setup.

Could the SeaPower have been attached?

Looks like you would have to unbolt it from the pulley to change the belt?

Think the cable just unscrews there at the silver cap on the fitting bolted to the wheel.

Red cap just covers another tach cable port on that signal generator.

Black thing with the red cap is a tach signal generator driven by a flex cable going to the front of the crank.

You can change belt by unscrewing the tach cable from the 90deg drive that is bolted to the crank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom