Thread: Stern Anchor
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The only time I stern tie is to counter the swing from cross current or crosswind. I never stern tie to hold place into the oncoming flow of current.

Usually I use the dinghy method of stern hook deployment and retrieval. In my favorite and most benign cove, it's only 6-11 ft deep and I use the stern-first method. It's about as calm as a clear plastic turtle pond...you know the one with the stepped island topped by a green plastic palm tree?

I approach the weedline upwind and stop at 2 boat lengths from the weeds to drop the stern mini danforth on a 100 ft line with 30 ft of chain. Then I proceed to the weedline and drop the bow hook in the clear next to the weeds. Since I'm anchoring in a bathtub, I just deploy the boat length of bow rode then pull in on the stern line to straddle the boat between the two. I don't recommend this method in anything but the most protected waters.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote