Ahoy from another wayward sailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muttskie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Fish
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39
Hello all,
I, as many others, have decided to go a power vessel and sell my very nice sail boat. I realized that I don't have a talent for fine sail trim, and the physical fitness needed for extensive single-handing of my Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37. Plus, my spousal unit is not very fond of sailing, particularly here on the windy San Francisco Bay (hence the single-handing).
I am in the early stages of buying a Kadey-Krogen 39, though it's not a done deal yet. The survey occurs in a couple of weeks.
I have been a longtime Cruisers Forum participant and a lurker here as well. I hope to learn and contribute in the years to come.
As I have recently retired from my long career and an air traffic controller, I am looking forward to exploring the inland passage ( B.C. ) and maybe the Sea of Cortez, too. For now, I just want to learn about what it means to own a trawler and become somewhat competent.
Bill Petras
San Francisco Bay Area

For now, I just want to learn about what it means to own a trawler and become somewhat competent.
Bill Petras
San Francisco Bay Area

I'd say you've already become somewhat competent, maybe well beyond that. I'm sure, if like most sailors, you did motor occasionally. You won't have any trouble getting yourself up to speed on a powerboat.

Welcome aboard. Good to have you with us, Bill. Don't know as we have any other air-traffic controllers with us, but we do have some pilots.

Sailing SF Bay on a nice, windy day must seem like working Chicago' O'Hare airport.

Welcome aboard. Your trawler will feel like a race car compared to your sailboat.
Anyway mine did when I made the switch.:D

Welcome to the forum! We're friendly here on the dark side, until you start talking about anchors.

Ted

Welcome aboard, Bill from a fellow retired FAAer. I was ATC at MYF ATCT, Terps and Flight Check at SAC FIFO. Retirred 2012...Boating in the SF Bay and CA Delta as often as I possibly can!!

Were you Tower, Tracon or Center?

Welcome aboard! I've spent a lot of time ogling KK 39s, and I definitely approve of your new ship. I hope the sale goes smoothly!

Sailing SF Bay on a nice, windy day must seem like working Chicago' O'Hare airport.

Ha ha ha! Good one, and not far from the truth!

Welcome to the forum! We're friendly here on the dark side, until you start talking about anchors.

Ted

Speaking of which, how about that Spade? :angel:

Welcome aboard, Bill from a fellow retired FAAer. I was ATC at MYF ATCT, Terps and Flight Check at SAC FIFO. Retirred 2012...Boating in the SF Bay and CA Delta as often as I possibly can!!

Were you Tower, Tracon or Center?

Hi Al,
Nice to hear from you. I was at SFO Tower. Retired on Thursday after working a 100 hour ( no joke! that was the count during my last session ).
I keep my sailboat in Berkeley, though it's up for sale now.
Bill

Welcome aboard! I've spent a lot of time ogling KK 39s, and I definitely approve of your new ship. I hope the sale goes smoothly!
Thanks, Dave!

Thanks, Steve!

Nice to have you here, Bill!

Hi Al,
Nice to hear from you. I was at SFO Tower. Retired on Thursday after working a 100 hour ( no joke! that was the count during my last session ).
I keep my sailboat in Berkeley, though it's up for sale now.
Bill

100 planes an hour at SFO is impressive. You went out on top!

Here's a video of my last flight inspection which was to check the SFO Offset localizer to 28R in Oct 2012. In this video, we overfly the localizer antenna while measuring the signal then move to the rwy centerline to overfly the runway departure end to conduct a position update for the flight inspection system to analyze the signal performance. All this maneuvering occurs at 50 ft AGL or less. You might have even been on duty that day. No doubt, we have spoken on the radio or phone or even met in person at a facility meeting.

After this flight, I returned to my home base of SMF for a water canon salute after my last landing. Glad to have the videos to preserve the special moments of the day.

Unfortunately, the audio from the radios and intercom cannot be heard on this cellphone video by the copilot. Yes, recording this video in flight breaks the rules, but it was my last flight so what were they going to do, fire me?

Nice video, Al.
Yes, I remember the flight checks for the SOIA (Simultaneous Offset Instrument Approach) approaches, and many others, well. It always seemed to happen during a busy period! The fun ones were the opposite direction low approaches with air carrier traffic inbound, nose to nose! But it always seemed to work out fine.
Still adjusting to being retired. It's only been 10 days. I still wake up and wonder what shift I'm working today. But it's sweet to be home on a Sunday morning, watching some football!
Bill

It took me about a year for my brain to catch up to the fact that I was retired. I'd dream about working while being retired. Eventually those confused dreams faded and now after 4 years, only occur occasionally.

Yes, the ILS checks to 10 and 19 were always a challenge into the face of departures. Also, the 19 low approach and the localizer crossings would put us into areas of rapidly rising terrain to the west and south. That rendered them impossible to complete in the hours of darkness. But, what the heck...anyone could do this under ideal conditions, right?

From my perspective, it was usually a very smooth operation working with SFO and NCT. Congrats on a successful career and retirement from a very important and difficult job. Our nation's Air Traffic Controllers are an impressive group of intelligent, confident professionals who deserve public recognition. Well done!

Thank you for your kind words, Al. I will admit to some pride for having safely taken care of many, many thousands of flights during the course of my career. I always thought of the little old ladies going to see their children, and I never, ever, delayed planes going to Hawaii. Most people barely know of our existence, but we all try to do the best possible job.

So true. I consider it a privilege to have dealt so closely with so many ATC and other FAA professionals over the course of my career. So much gets done silently in the background that few are aware of. It's an incredibly difficult task and complex system to provide for safe air travel for millions and millions in all weather conditions. Most take it all for granted...until a link in the chain breaks.

Just saw the movie Sully yesterday. It's a great example of some of the behind the scenes efforts by ATC.

Hello all,
I, as many others, have decided to go a power vessel and sell my very nice sail boat. I realized that I don't have a talent for fine sail trim, and the physical fitness needed for extensive single-handing of my Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37. Plus, my spousal unit is not very fond of sailing, particularly here on the windy San Francisco Bay (hence the single-handing).
I am in the early stages of buying a Kadey-Krogen 39, though it's not a done deal yet. The survey occurs in a couple of weeks.
I have been a longtime Cruisers Forum participant and a lurker here as well. I hope to learn and contribute in the years to come.
As I have recently retired from my long career and an air traffic controller, I am looking forward to exploring the inland passage ( B.C. ) and maybe the Sea of Cortez, too. For now, I just want to learn about what it means to own a trawler and become somewhat competent.
Bill Petras
San Francisco Bay Area
Congratulations on your retirement from a pilot who has probably talked with you many times over the years.

Congratulations on your retirement from a pilot who has probably talked with you many times over the years.

Thanks Friendly! I always enjoyed my interaction with pilots. With rare exception (as with controllers, too), they are truly professional and a pleasure to work with. At SFO the nature of the operation demands attention and prompt action. Teamwork defined. By the way, I spent over a decade at the SFO MOC as a maintenance inspector. I'm sure you flew many aircraft that I had inspected during their maintenance checks (I'm assuming UAL because of your user name).

Yes, I've been at United for twenty years (without a major system malfunction so thanks) and currently a Guppy Capt based at Dulles. Not much room for error at SFO with the closely spaced 28's and intersection operations but I continue to enjoy it like it was the first time I landed there. I'm still looking for my first landing on the 1's.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom