American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.
Ditto On the JL Audio/ Fusion I run both those setups in multiple boats and love them.

It is pretty exciting!

As for stereo, yes I am a little on the fussy side. The Fusion/JL audio system you refer to is high on my list for the boat. On our last sailboat I used a McIntosh Labs 12v head unit, one of their 12 amplifiers and some B&W speakers for the main cabin with JL Audio speakers in the cockpit. It was delightful! No longer in production though so this time we will go the Fusion route.
Glad to learn that you like your setup!
Bruce

Don't pussyfoot around...go for tubes and horns.

Attachments

• image_809.jpg
    image_809.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 148
That is awesome!
I'm guessing that this would be stretching the "wife comfort zone" just a bit though...
Bruce

Just think of the concert you could enjoy on the hook, beer in hand, feet up...

I understand the wife factor: I have a dedicated music room at home (no, that picture was not my setup), and 3" full range speakers on the boat with a tiny sub hidden in a cabinet...it's all a matter of real estate available.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Our taste in music is calmer and more sedate, so we don't shake up the whole world. Funny, you'd think age wise I would want loud. We have nice systems but nothing over the top. Honestly, I know nothing about audio systems. On the boat we're on now, I have no idea if this is considered good or not. You can tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. This is cut and paste from the paperwork as I don't know enough to translate it. I did recognize you guys said Fusion and knew we had something that name. It sounds fine to me, but we don't turn it up and blast away, more into love songs and romantic and classics and soft.

Bose Lifestyle 535 5:1 Surround entertainment System with Pioneer Blu-ray player in the saloon. Cockpit zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier. Flybridge zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier and one Speakercraft Subwoofer. Fore deck zone performance audio upgrade with Two Bose removable Speakers with Sonos Connect amplifier. The zoning audio to be linked to the Saloon AV system via Sonos Connect with one iPad mini supplied for control of the zones through a Sonos App. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Master cabin. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Forward cabin. Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Bluetooth wireless connectivity for the starboard cabin Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Blutooth wireless connectivity for the port cabin.​

Not like we designed it. It was just the package offered.

Looks like a nice package. The important thing is that it works well for you, that is what matters.

I love music and like it to be reproduced well. However, as I've gotten older a couple of things have happened. The first is that I find I am less "picky", then second is that audio gear has gotten much better and the prices have dropped. I used to haunt the local audiophile stores, now most of those are gone and I find that I really don't miss it much.

Wifey B: Our taste in music is calmer and more sedate, so we don't shake up the whole world. Funny, you'd think age wise I would want loud. We have nice systems but nothing over the top. Honestly, I know nothing about audio systems. On the boat we're on now, I have no idea if this is considered good or not. You can tell me. Won't hurt my feelings. This is cut and paste from the paperwork as I don't know enough to translate it. I did recognize you guys said Fusion and knew we had something that name. It sounds fine to me, but we don't turn it up and blast away, more into love songs and romantic and classics and soft.

Bose Lifestyle 535 5:1 Surround entertainment System with Pioneer Blu-ray player in the saloon. Cockpit zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier. Flybridge zone performance audio upgrade with Four Sonance Extreme Speakers with Sonos Connect and amplifier and one Speakercraft Subwoofer. Fore deck zone performance audio upgrade with Two Bose removable Speakers with Sonos Connect amplifier. The zoning audio to be linked to the Saloon AV system via Sonos Connect with one iPad mini supplied for control of the zones through a Sonos App. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Master cabin. Harmon Kardon Bluray/DVD/CD/Radio head unit with Stereo flush mount speakers and an Auxiliary HDMI socket linked to AV system for the Forward cabin. Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Bluetooth wireless connectivity for the starboard cabin Fusion DVD/CD/Radio tuner linked to TV with stereo speakers with Blutooth wireless connectivity for the port cabin.​

Not like we designed it. It was just the package offered.

That sounds like a pretty complete package with very nice components. The reality is that a boat is a terrible place for "high fidelity". I'm sure I'd be happy listening to your system. The issue for us with all of these systems is the amount of power they use. It is amazing how quickly the batteries drop when we rock out in our current boat.
What I like about the Fusion head unit I am considering is the fact that it has a simple almost Apple IOS style menu and that it has 4 separate audio outputs. We can have sound everywhere.
I'm sure I'd be happy with the Bose surround system if I wanted a 120 volt system. Bose does some interesting things with digital audio to compensate for variations in room design. That is something I will have to live without.
As nice as the McIntosh gear is in our current boat, I'd probably go with the Fusion gear anyway if I had the choice. If we had more ability to generate and store energy, I'd consider the Bose...
Bruce

Looks like a nice package. The important thing is that it works well for you, that is what matters.

I love music and like it to be reproduced well. However, as I've gotten older a couple of things have happened. The first is that I find I am less "picky", then second is that audio gear has gotten much better and the prices have dropped. I used to haunt the local audiophile stores, now most of those are gone and I find that I really don't miss it much.

I believe that our hearing degenerates too... I've noticed that my wife and I each ask each other to repeat ourselves more often these days.
'What was that...?"
Bruce

That sounds like a pretty complete package with very nice components. The reality is that a boat is a terrible place for "high fidelity". I'm sure I'd be happy listening to your system. The issue for us with all of these systems is the amount of power they use. It is amazing how quickly the batteries drop when we rock out in our current boat.
What I like about the Fusion head unit I am considering is the fact that it has a simple almost Apple IOS style menu and that it has 4 separate audio outputs. We can have sound everywhere.
I'm sure I'd be happy with the Bose surround system if I wanted a 120 volt system. Bose does some interesting things with digital audio to compensate for variations in room design. That is something I will have to live without.
As nice as the McIntosh gear is in our current boat, I'd probably go with the Fusion gear anyway if I had the choice. If we had more ability to generate and store energy, I'd consider the Bose...
Bruce

Wifey B: I like a full mellow sound vs. a harsh tinny sound and I know it's all in degrees and acoustics very important. Now we do get some of the wilder music blasting occasionally traveling with 21 through 27 year olds. Still they don't crank it up like I know they would if we weren't there. We listen with an open mind and sometimes hear something we really like.:dance:

I believe that our hearing degenerates too... I've noticed that my wife and I each ask each other to repeat ourselves more often these days.
'What was that...?"
Bruce

yeah, definitely lose the upper registers. I remember when audio CDs first hit the market. I got together with a friend. I had one of the first Sony CD players and he had a high end turntable. We both happened to have the same album, mine on CD and his a limited run vinyl pressing. I took my little CD player over to his house and we spent two hours with the CD and album cued up and switching back and forth. We could hear the differences predominantly in the upper registers. The CD picked up the overtones of high pitched instruments like a piccolo better than the vinyl did. I am sure that I wouldn't be able to here those differences now.

Wifey B: I like a full mellow sound vs. a harsh tinny sound and I know it's all in degrees and acoustics very important. Now we do get some of the wilder music blasting occasionally traveling with 21 through 27 year olds. Still they don't crank it up like I know they would if we weren't there. We listen with an open mind and sometimes hear something we really like.:dance:

Listening to good music is a joy. Listening to good music on a well sorted system is simply one of life's gifts! I certainly have my favorites but I am continually finding new material that I like...
Every system and every piece has an optimal volume. I like it loud enough to feel like you are there, clean enough for no audible distortion.
Bruce

yeah, definitely lose the upper registers. I remember when audio CDs first hit the market. I got together with a friend. I had one of the first Sony CD players and he had a high end turntable. We both happened to have the same album, mine on CD and his a limited run vinyl pressing. I took my little CD player over to his house and we spent two hours with the CD and album cued up and switching back and forth. We could hear the differences predominantly in the upper registers. The CD picked up the overtones of high pitched instruments like a piccolo better than the vinyl did. I am sure that I wouldn't be able to here those differences now.

I've sampled different CD players in the same room feeding the same system and speakers. You can hear the differences in different brands! I'd have never believed it if I hadn't done the comparison myself...
I think I will go and get my hearing checked this year, if for no reason other than to establish a benchmark for the inevitable.
Bruce

Volume doesn't equal quality. Just as SOG doesn't limit enjoyment of your boat. If it sounds good to you that's what matters!

What is specified above will be more than adequate to allow you to relax and enjoy the time with good tunes in the background...or foreground.

Speaking of generating electricity - no generator in your spec?

Volume doesn't equal quality. Just as SOG doesn't limit enjoyment of your boat. If it sounds good to you that's what matters!

What is specified above will be more than adequate to allow you to relax and enjoy the time with good tunes in the background...or foreground.

Speaking of generating electricity - no generator in your spec?

Sure there is. A Northern Lights 6kw unit. That and 3 4D AGM batteries.
It is just that I've seen a 10 amp draw from stereo alone in our current boat using 12 volt equipment at volume. It can add up to significant battery useage over an evening of listening... I'm sure that a 120 volt system running on an inverter would be even higher.

I've sucked our batteries down more than a few times listening to music. I remember one passage to Bermuda where we had no wind at all for 12 hours. We were tired and the boat was making several knots speed over ground toward our destination in the Gulf Stream so we decided that showers, a hot meal and some good music was in order. Between the plotter, nav lights, stereo and all we sucked those poor batteries down in no time! Sure was an evening to remember though...
Bruce

I Wish , I wish ,that the complex digital TV radio and TV broadcasts were set up so one could select to loose the background noise.

No need to hear fans cheering if it drowns out the commentary.

No need for background music if it buries the script.

I wish!

I like the galley layout, and the frig up, freezer down configuration and microwave all up high so no bending required.

I like the galley layout, and the frig up, freezer down configuration and microwave all up high so no bending required.

You probably missed a post I made earlier about microwaves so...
We will be replacing that ugly Novakool fridge with either a Vitrifrigo DW-250 like this seadrawer-dw250 or with a Webasto Cruise 195 like this, https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/products/fridges-freezers/cruise-marine-refrigerators/xlarge-fridges-165-271-l/cruise-195-inox-stainless-steel/

We want a fridge that doesn't look like it belongs in a Kenworth Semi for one and we also want separate compressors for both fridge and freezer. This change will necessitate moving the unit higher in the cabinetry due to depth. That means no microwave.

I ignited a small debate about microwaves at the time I posted this. We don't use a microwave. We don't even own one at home! Our current boat has one and I think in 11 years and lots of time aboard we may have tried it 2 or 3 times.
So, out it goes for our build! If anyone really can't live without one years from now when we sell the boat, they will have to figure out a countertop unit...
Bruce

I use the hell out of my microwave!!! But you're right...the next guy can figure it out!!!

I use the hell out of my microwave!!! But you're right...the next guy can figure it out!!!

My wife really loves to cook. This video is too long but it is a great example of her love of cooking...
If you are a "foodie" take a look! Please note that no microwave was used in the preparation of this meal. I just watched it and now I'm hungry, just be warned...
Bruce

I Wish , I wish ,that the complex digital TV radio and TV broadcasts were set up so one could select to loose the background noise.

No need to hear fans cheering if it drowns out the commentary.

No need for background music if it buries the script.

I wish!

44 thumbs up!,

We have activity!
The deck is out of the mold and now we have the hull gelcoat in the mold. I understand that there are other people who have seen the Seashell green who are considering our non stock color now...

My only "gripe" is that so far, there are no pictures of the people working on the boat. Tomco insists on acting as photographer for the project and although we understand the need to protect their proprietary methods, we want pictures of the people building the boat! Sabre was great about this 11 years ago when we built our 386.

Nonetheless, we are happy to have some pictures...
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 228
Congrats

I have been looking at AT''s for many years and really love the 395 - great choice! Just a question , did you consider others like Nordic Tug or North Pacific?

I have been looking at AT''s for many years and really love the 395 - great choice! Just a question , did you consider others like Nordic Tug or North Pacific?

Here is a thread that Bruce started before he settled on the AT. You may find it useful.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, yes we did consider Nordic Tug's and no the North Pacific models were not on our radar.

As for Nordic, we like the boats but had difficulties with the dealer. I described the events in another post and there is no need to go into it again. We went aboard the Nordic Tugs at the Newport Boat Show and we saw a lot to like. Not enough to make us reconsider our decision though!

We really wanted to purchase an American built boat. The North Pacific line appears to be very nicely built but we have never seen one that we knew of...

In the end, we liked the American Tug better than the other boats we were looking at. Both the dealer and the manufacturer went out of their way to answer our questions and help us through the complex (for us) process of ordering a new trawler/tug. We had opportunity to tag along on a couple deliveries of the 395 and the dealer let us spent untold hours on their "stock" boat measuring, sitting, looking and asking hours and hours of questions.

Now we are on our way and it is becoming exciting!
Bruce

Progress is slow these days. I believe they are scurrying to get a couple of boats ready for launching and that the crew is mostly allocated to that task...
There has been progress though. These are stringers getting laminated into our hull.
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 141
On a different note...
Our lovely Sabre sailed away this week, now in the possession of the dealer as a trade in. The delivery crew showed up to take her to Maine. It was a sad day! My wife had a particularly difficult time watching. It is actually the only time I have ever seen her under sail from anywhere other onboard!
She was a great boat for us...
Bruce
Esmeralde is the boat closest to the gong...

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 150
Back
Top Bottom