How to safely tow another boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
We do not have any towing companies (BoatUS for example) in our area so in the past I’ve towed about 1-2 boats a year that have run out of gas, had the engine quit or for some other reason. Since we bought Beachcomber we tend to go to out of the way places so lately we haven’t towed anyone. Over the years I’ve come up with some good things to be aware of when towing another boat to make it safer for everyone involved. Here’s a few items in no particular order….

-The boat to be towed should transfer all of it’s passengers to the tow boat except for the skipper of the towed boat. Everyone on both boats should don a PFD. This lightens the load in the towed boat and makes it easier to tow.

-The line to the towed boat should be fastened to the bow eye, or as low as possible on the boat to keep the bow high. (this might apply more to smaller boats than the ones we have)

-The tow line should be long enough that when the tow boat stops or slows, the towed boat has time to come to a stop so it doesn’t run into the tow boat.

-It’s best to use a heavy line that has some ability to stretch and absorb any shocks but not an unlimited amount of stretch. See next suggestion.

-It’s a good idea to tie a towel or PFD about midway down the tow line. This way if the line breaks it won’t be as likely to snap back into either boat and injure someone.

-Hand signals between the tow boat and towed boat should be the same as for water sports, and should be clarified before starting the tow. A better bet might be VHF or cell phone communication if possible.

-For better control of the towed boat, before approaching a dock it should be brought alongside the tow boat and fastened to the side as it would be in rafting up.

-There should be a clear plan for what to do when you reach your destination. Should the other boat side tie to you, etc?

-Weight distribution in the tow boat is critical. You don’t want everyone seated in the stern unless there’s nowhere else available.

-The tow line should be fastened to the tow boat using a bridle attached to two cleats if possible.

-On an I/O boat that is to be towed the lower units should be raised about half way. You want them in the water enough to still help with steering but high enough to minimize drag.

This list is certainly not a complete one so does anyone else have any ideas?

No ideas of my own, but all the suggestions sound like good ones. You may want to add a suggestion to the skipper being towed to brace him (or her) self for flack from the ever-present dockwatchers. Just a part of the routine, and no malice implied. :)

Be extremely careful with sidetows...

You can get into a situation where the only way to turn to one of the ways is to back down hard, letting the towed vessel's momentum pull your bow around past where you need it so when you start in forward again you can adjust to the correct track.

This is not for the feint of heart in crowded areas or when the wind/tide is strong.

The thing that helps the most is to have the other vessel as far forward on the towboat as possible...in other words the towboats rudder as far behind the vessel combo as possible.

Also don't side tow without significant fenders and not in areas where other boats will wake you.

Sailboats are a bit different....position is less necessary unless you are a lot bigger than them. For them...just act as propulsion if they have steering and let them steer with their big rudders.

Really hard to adequately discuss towing because of the myriad of tow vessels represented here....gets really tricky to say what is important or not when there is a large size between the 2 vessels.

I recently had occasion to tow a sailboat that had broken down in the shipping lanes on a windless night. I concluded that it was safer to tow it side-tied than on a line. I have several reasons I concluded this was the better way, including that its crabbing season, and maneuvering to avoid pots with a boat in tow behind, would be awkward. Also, the end of the tow was into a harbor with a somewhat restricted entrance (where all the crab pots were deployed of course), and ferry boats. It's may be a bit slower to tow this way, especially with one boat having a differently shaped hull as more speed makes the boats either want to turn toward one another or away from one another. It was interesting.

I strongly advise against side towing except in very protected waters with little chance of wakes...plus huge fenders, no boat overlapping structure, great lines to tie with,...just most non-pros aren't really set up for it. If possible and no danger, then of course it should be more controllable.

Avoiding crab pots is one thing, but not as bad as it seems, and much better injury or damage from hulls smashing.

Fine for the last bit entering a marina...but the pros usually wait till just entering and why you see the big tugs and tows swap tow types at inland water transitions due to the wave action.

Last edited:
I strongly advise against side towing except in very protected waters with little chance of wakes...plus huge fenders, no boat overlapping structure, great lines to tie with,...just most non-pros aren't really set up for it. If possible and no danger, then of course it should be more controllable.

Avoiding crab pots is one thing, but not as bad as it seems, and much better injury or damage from hulls smashing.

Fine for the last nit entering a marina...but the pros usually wait ad why you see the big tugs and tows swap tow types at inland water transitions.

Appreciate your thoughts but don't want you to keep worrying. Big fenders-check; great lines-check; conditions a factor including sea state, boat wakes etc-check; experience in similar circumstances including on board a tow boat-check; structure and fit of the boats-check; avoiding fouling in a crab-pot line in a narrow harbor entrance on a dark night with ferry boats--big ones-who must maintain speed for maneuverability-definitely a major factor.

Appreciate your thoughts but don't want you to keep worrying. Big fenders-check; great lines-check; conditions a factor including sea state, boat wakes etc-check; experience in similar circumstances including on board a tow boat-check; structure and fit of the boats-check; avoiding fouling in a crab-pot line in a narrow harbor entrance on a dark night with ferry boats--big ones-who must maintain speed for maneuverability-definitely a major factor.
fine for you as I said ...there are always exceptions. or proper preparations.

I have seen death, maiming, and plenty of damage from 2 boats next to one another in rough water...it isn't rocket science but it would be one of the least familiar/natural and most dangerous things many boaters could do....just passing that along for general, not specific consumption.

fine for you as I said ...there are always exceptions. or proper preparations.

I have seen death, maiming, and plenty of damage from 2 boats next to one another in rough water...it isn't rocket science but it would be one of the least familiar/natural and most dangerous things many boaters could do....just passing that along for general, not specific consumption.

Very eloquently stated and having seen similar carnage, I could not agree more. There is an incredible potential for problems with stern and side towing. I have done this professionally and the risks are difficult to mitigate for the recreational boater. 99% of our boats and our crew, my boat and crew included, are not even remotely configured/prepared to tow. My insurance policy also specifically addresses towing...as in NO.

My friend runs a tow boat, so I appreciate the comments regarding recreational boaters doing a side tow. I don't have the experience, and don't want to be sued, so I wouldn't side tow someone. I would tow somebody astern, but only in a dire emergency and if a tow boat or other certified responder was not around. Overall, its best left to the pros whenever possible.

My insurance policy also specifically addresses towing...as in NO.
Really? I checked with my insurance broker in Seattle about towing after this question came up a few years ago on another forum. I was told I would be covered for liability if I was towing and damaged someone else's property and would be covered for damage to my boat if I was towing someone.

I've towed and been towed.
Line towed untill we got close to the final dock space and then went to a side tow.
But the need for BIG fenders is real. I have two 2 ft diam beach balls and they got worked hard. My friend had two similar but maybe 16" diam. beach balls and they too saw some work.
Those fenders got squeezed hard and the lines worked.
I don't make a habit of it but sometimes it is needed.

The last time it was me that got towed by C-tow. Initially a line tow but for the final approach to the marina and the slip it was a side tow. I learned a bunch from him. His boat was much smaller than mine, outboard powered. He tied so his stern hung way back of mine and the lines were as tight as could be made. Speed was dead slow, only enough speed to maintain steerage. He had little trouble with mine.

Good also to have a mess of friends on the dock to toss lines to. C-Tow only had to get close enough to throw those lines.

I am the ex owner of a recreational boat tow company and have 40 years professional maritime work history. Still my underwriter states in the policy for my present boat that towing another vessel will violate the warranty (exclude coverage) and any damage/liability will be for owners account. This is Geico. It was the same for a previous policy written in London by a Lloyds name.
Read your policies carefully fellas.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

We have towed boats and usually request the vessels anchor and line be passed over.

Then at the end of the tow we simply drop the anchor and let the yard bring the boat in , or the owner can do a side tow with his motorized dink.

We . . . . . usually request the vessels anchor and line be passed over.
Then at the end of the tow we simply drop the anchor and let the yard bring the boat in , or the owner can do a side tow with his motorized dink.

That makes a lot of sense.

My insurance also specifically prohibits towing. There is no tow company locally so most tows are done by commercial fishermen. That can be interesting since they like to tow at about 15 knots. The local Coast Guard will also tow people if no one else is available.

I understand the risks of side towing. It can be very dangerous. I once side towed my sailboat with my dinghy and nearly came to grief when I was severely waked by a large black boat with narrow blue and white stripes and a wide red stripe stripe on the side.

Last edited:
I understand the risks of side towing. It can be very dangerous. I once side towed my sailboat with my dinghy and nearly came to grief when I was severely waked by a large black boat with narrow blue and white stripes and a wide red stripe stripe on the side.

Hmmm . . . . . . . you mean maybe something like these?

u-s-coast-guard-surface-effects-ships-sea-sea-hawk-and-shearwater-william-h-ravell-iii.jpg

One item that has been completely left out of lists for safely towing another boat - display the proper lights at night. Your vessel and for that matter the other vessel may not be normally equipped for this display. If you are thinking that you will be towing someone elses vessel insure that you have portable lights for this function.

Towing lights for occasional towing are a good idea, but not required to be legal...rule 24

*(j)] Where from any sufficient cause it is impracticable for a vessel not normally engaged in towing operations to display the lights prescribed [by |in] Rule 24(a) or (c) [or (i)], such vessel shall not be required to exhibit those lights when engaged in towing another vessel in distress or otherwise in need of assistance. All possible measures shall be taken to indicate the nature of the relationship between the towing vessel and the vessel being [towed as authorized by Rule 36.*

Last edited:
I prefer to tow with the towed boat's line and keep a knife handy near the transom to cut away just in case. I've only towed with this boat twice, but both in benign conditions.

I better go back and read my insurance policy.

Your insurance police should have an exception from its prohibition on towing, for responding to another vessel in distress, and for "good Samaritan" tows. The prohibition is likely coupled to the "commercial use" of your boat.

Be extremely careful with sidetows...

You can get into a situation where the only way to turn to one of the ways is to back down hard, letting the towed vessel's momentum pull your bow around

This is not for the feint of heart in crowded areas or when the wind/tide is strong.

But the magazine said side towing my 42' trawler was a cinch with my 11' dinghy. :)

Like a few on here that read the magazines and feel they have the experience that the rest of us got the hard way....:rofl:

In my experience the best way to move a boat in calm water this is called Towing on the hip that's where the towed boat is taken along side on the aft third of the Towing boat.
If towing on the port side a line is run from the towed boats aft starboard cleat to the towing boats aft starboard cleat. The towed boats bow line runs to a port Brest cleat on the towing boat.

For clarity...

Attachments

• f0307-01.png
    f0307-01.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 171
  • hip-push-320px.jpg
    hip-push-320px.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 184
Funny set if coincidences--today I was out on the Whaler and ended up towing about a 20' wakeboard boat about 1/2 mile back to the launch. I followed the rules above and got him back without any problems.

Building Karma is always a good thing.

Really? I checked with my insurance broker in Seattle about towing after this question came up a few years ago on another forum. I was told I would be covered for liability if I was towing and damaged someone else's property and would be covered for damage to my boat if I was towing someone.

I did the same w/ similar response from BoatUS...

"As long as you are not getting paid for your services because you have a private pleasure usage only policy with us, we are fine with you assisting other boaters on the water.
Any damages to your boat will be covered under Boat and Boating Equipment up to the declared value you currently have on the policy.
Any damages to the other persons boat will be covered under the liability limits that you currently have on the policy".

It is funny, seeing the diagrams. BUT they leave out the absolute best way to tow alongside. And NO I won't show it. BUT there is another way to tow along side, with small 'tugs' that makes handling a (comparative) breeze. But we can't ruin the moneymakers jobs can we?

Something y'all might be missing. While I have not towed a boat in years(I refer them to the professionals and tell them I would be happy to assist until professional help arrives), if I had ever towed anyone in the past I would tell them, make a DECLARATION, that if anything happens to their boat it is THEIR responsibility. And if anything happens to MY boat, it is THEIR responsibility. And if anyone is injured on EITHER boat, it is THEIR responsibility! It always takes them awhile to swallow that and it usually occurs with a funny look on their face. IOW, you are making them understand the seriousness of towing because they are agreeing to accept all liability for the entire operation. It also hammers home the seriousness of the situation...both the towing and what caused the tow(lack of fuel,mtx,etc)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom