New to me CML 37

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBCML

Vessel Name
Teak A Boo
Vessel Make
CML 37
I have just recently purchased a 1986 CML 37. Are there other people out there who would like to share information about them? Are there specific modifications that have been helpful? Are you still enjoying your boat? I have been a sailboat owner for 25 years and have just recently drifted over to the twin diesel seas.

I'm kind of disappointed that no one has responded. There is an 86 CML 37 near us that will be up for sale soon and would also like to know more about it.

With only 15 being built, you probably will not get a response. They are more appropriately a C&C CML 37 and built in Ontario. There is one for sale on YW with fairly high hour twin Volvo's for about $45K. It kind of looks like a lot of other older trawlers with the interior hopelessly stuck in the 1980's. Getting parts for the Volvo's would probably be an issue. Like Taiwanese Tubs, be on the lookout for soft decks and leaky fuel tanks and expect to do a complete electronics upgrade. Like the fact there is little, if any, exterior wood on the boat.

Welcome to the forum, I have never seen one of the vessels to which you are inquiring.
Donsan makes some valid points to your interest. The replacement parts could be the more important aspect of any potential purchase.
Wishing you both well
Dave

One year and still enjoying the CML

I have now had the boat for about a year. We love the layout and the construction of the boat is solid. Becasue of the experience that C&C has with boat manufacturing, the glass work is all good and no problems with rot. The engines are old, but with approximately 2000 hours on them and some decent maintenance records, they have been fine. A couple of oil leaks and some minor maintenance and repair items. We are happy with our purchase. Until we get "10 year neweritess" :lol:

Cml 37

I've had mine just over a month now, been living aboard since I purchased it. The hull # is 806386. She's a single Volvo diesel with about 2500 hours on her when I got her. I've put about 30 hours on the engine since the purchase. I'm absolutely loving it! You're correct on the solid construction, I've had her in six footers on Lake Huron and not had a single issue piloting from the upper helm.

I'm wondering, does yours have a bit of a starboard list? Mine does and the pictures I've seen of others indicates they have the same slight list.

Attachments

• File_001.jpg
    File_001.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_4846.jpg
    DSC_4846.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 104
Just stumbled upon this thread. Have owned a CML37 since 2012, been a C&C owner for 30+ years. Boat was purchased from a friend of mine who has had since 1997. so I have a long history with this boat. My boat is a single engine. Hull # 370091586. 1986.

Like Taiwanese Tubs, be on the lookout for soft decks and leaky fuel tanks and expect to do a complete electronics upgrade. Like the fact there is little, if any, exterior wood on the boat.

This boat does not remotely compare to a Taiwan tub. The fuel tanks are aluminum not steel and they are properly installed with nothing leaking on to them. They don't have cheesy wood frame windows that leak and rot the wood panelling, they have aluminum framed, well sealed windows. Neither do they have the often rotten wood frames or stingers of the TT's, they have a very solid FRP grid module that also forms the engine beds. Rotten deck core or house sides are unheard of unlike the TT's

I am not a fan of C&C sailboats or this trawler (handling, fuel usage and a very poor propane system) but let's give credit where credit is due. These are as strongly built as anything on the market.

19151-albums744-picture4511.jpg

My boat is in near perfect shape and mostly original. As good as can be for a boat built in 1986. Interior has been updated with new upholstery and modern accents. No issues with superstructure or decks at all. Teak cap rail is in near perfect condition. Mechanical has been seamlessly maintained. Most of this can be attributable to this boat being in freshwater its entire life in Central Canada. I purchased this boat from a friend of mine in 2012 and he purchased it in 1997. So I have been very involved in its history. It's been a great boat and one that I am not soon to replace.

For those following and interested I have posted scanned pictures of the original brochure in an album under my profile.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom