View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Jeffrey S
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Kevin, I think the point of the article is to help those without your years of experience understand why the circle they come up may not be large enough depending on their boats configuration.
Actually, I think the article was written because too many people who have their GPS 40' back from the bow don't really understand the implication of the 2X error if they are anchoring in more shallow water. If you're anchoring in 80', then yeah, it will have less than an effect. But if you're anchoring in 10', then an 80 foot error caused by a 40' GPS offset is quite sizeable. The numbers in the article give a good reference. With a 5' bow height, most people would put out 75' of chain giving 5:1 scope. But very few people would then set their anchor alarm at about 200' because it seems way too much.

And yet, 200' is the correct setting.

And how is it advertising? I don't get that. The newsletter is our way of giving back to the community for all their contributions. We attempt to find interesting and technology-based items and write about them. Anyone can easily opt out with no penalty or issue. Why is there something negative to find with that?