Articulated Bow Roller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Why?
All I can think of is saving a foot of moorage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 112
Maybe leverage. The original may have been damaged trying to break out a stuck anchor. Certainly the further out the bow roller is, the more force there is on it's platform.

Ted

Some articulate to take strain off the windlass as well as the bow pulpit.

The pivot point on a heavy anchor can be such the shank rises so high just coming over the roller, it causes chain to jump out of the wildcat (mine is like that) and it takes that much leverage to finally raise the crown up and over.

Pretty sure the pivoting makes it smoother, less forces involved, less chance of chain jump.

Last edited:
Maybe leverage. The original may have been damaged trying to break out a stuck anchor. Certainly the further out the bow roller is, the more force there is on it's platform.

Ted

Yes it's amazing but a lot of people fail to comprehend and anticipate common physics. One of the reasons I dislike bow pulpits as they are so vulnerable to forces in almost all directions. Lots of anchoring forces and forces from bumping into things even at very slow speeds can cause big trouble structurally.

But this is just a bow roller. Not immune from the above but still vulnerable.

If a gypsy can't pull an anchor up/over there may be something wrong w the system. Wrong chain type or gypsy drum/sproket or perhaps too much chain speed. Or not enough wrap around the gypsy/sproket. That could be an advantage for guys forcing the winch to pull up a deeply imbedded anchor. Sort of a nondestructive weak link.
And there are bow rollers that rotate some to make the last pull w the anchor engaged w the roller and plate a smoother act.

Al/FlyWright, Caltex,
Head knocker? Anchor or anchor and bow pulpit extending into/over the walkway on the float?
That shouldn't happen. Selling moorage and paying moorage by the foot and protrusions either in the walkway or the fairway should not be allowed. We as tennants are renting both the walkway and the fairway should have access to all of both.
But as I originally said .. avoiding extra moorage cost. And if so I wonder why more don't take steps to reduce moorage costs in a similar way. And if this example is for that reason I have great respect for the boat owner and the marina for not allowing boats or parts of boats to extend into space used by all.

Last edited:
I think the owner is really proud of his Bruce anchor and just wishes to show it off to the other patrons in the marina..

HOLLYWOOD

I agree ...
Most anchors aren't verry pretty and have a hard core industrial look about them but even if you're joking (frequently are) the Claw anchor is almost a work of art. Codger had a pollished SS Claw on his boat for many years. Showed us many pics of it and I assumed he had the same opinion about the looks/style of the Claw.

Yes it's amazing but a lot of people fail to comprehend and anticipate common physics. One of the reasons I dislike bow pulpits as they are so vulnerable to forces in almost all directions. Lots of anchoring forces and forces from bumping into things even at very slow speeds can cause big trouble structurally.

Al/FlyWright, Caltex,
Head knocker? Anchor or anchor and bow pulpit extending into/over the walkway on the float?

Eric, after sticking the 60 Hatteras on my bow last October in SF Bay, I can safely say that my ground tackle, roller and pulpit has been battle tested. Yes, the pulpit cracked under the stress of the Hatt bouncing up and down in the surf but so would just about anything else out there. I also bent my anchor roller and lost part of my rubrail. My anchor held us both for several minutes while we untangled. After we separating, I had full function of my anchor system to retrieve my anchor electrically. There was no structural damage to the boat...just a cosmetic crack in the caprail. My point is a properly engineered and built anchor-windlass pulpit system is not a vulnerability but an asset.

Just because you don't think headknockers should exist doesn't mean they're not a reality. And if this gent's marina enforces this policy, then that could very well be the reason for the modification.

We had a member here named Per who had a 38 Californian in Long Beach. They were sticklers for LOA so he had to remove or modify his pulpit to meet the requirements. Stuff happens!

Lots of people and manufacturers agree that articulating the roller assembly is either easier or more cost effective than changing windlasses or anchors or thinking some component of the ground tackle isn't functioning correctly.

Not everything has to be a certain way...compromises are abundant in boating....like many things in life.

Last edited:
Looks like the bow pulpit handrail would be the longest "protrusion" even if the anchor were horizontal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom