Saying Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CRamsey

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here. I don't have a trawler yet, but am seriously considering a local 36 Grand Banks Classic to live aboard. I'll be browsing a lot of threads and might even ask a few questions. It will likely be just me and my dog. I'm looking to downsize from my house and reduce my overhead. Not an unusual story. I want to change up my routine and live differently for the remaining 25-30 years I have on the planet. Wish me luck! :dance:

Craig

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the search. Sometimes that is the best part.

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new here. I don't have a trawler yet, but am seriously considering a local 36 Grand Banks Classic to live aboard. I'll be browsing a lot of threads and might even ask a few questions. It will likely be just me and my dog. I'm looking to downsize from my house and reduce my overhead. Not an unusual story. I want to change up my routine and live differently for the remaining 25-30 years I have on the planet. Wish me luck! :dance:

Craig

I think it can be a great change in lifestyle. I do caution one thing. Don't expect it to really reduce your expenses. A boat is cheaper than a boat and a house, but not less expensive than a house, when all factors are considered.

Welcome aboard TF
I'd second B&B's comment re $ in general - always exceptions both ways depending on your needs / wants

I think it can be a great change in lifestyle. I do caution one thing. Don't expect it to really reduce your expenses. A boat is cheaper than a boat and a house, but not less expensive than a house, when all factors are considered.

Yup, what he said. The purchase cost of the boat is the cheapest part of ownership in the long run. I would also encourage to you start looking at not only the boat, but where you might dock it. Some marinas don't allow live aboards. Moorage close in to certain areas can be pretty expensive. I would start looking at all that now so you can factor it all in together.

Good luck with the exploration though. As was mentioned, it can be fun.

Craig,

We have the boat you mentioned and will be downsizing from it in the near future. As a live aboard it would be an interesting idea with just you and your dog. Moorage is always an issue unless the marina allows it like ours does on Vashon Island. Where are you located? You will get a lot of ideas on live aboard from many people on the forum. Feel free to ask about the GB anytime.

As previously stated, boats can be a cheap way to live, but not necessarily.

A 36 footer is good for a bachelor, most significant others, male or female will need an additional 4 to 6 feet of boat....if you also add a few hobbies such as fishing, diving, dingy, kayaks or paddle boards, etc...

Thanks for all the quick Welcomes. I realize that a boat can be just as expensive as a house. At least with the boat, I'd buy it outright and not have a mortgage. I looked at the 1974 Grand Banks today. It looks solid, but needs a good bit of elbow grease. The motors (twin LH Fords) each have only about 250 hours on them. I wonder how much rot is in there, being used so little. I'm thinking of gaskets and seals. It's been in a covered slip for 4 years and hardly used. It's in brackish water and the hull has been scrubbed by a diver every few months... I'm in Eastern NC, may move on south towards Charleston or Beaufort, SC. Lady's Island Marina looks nice and has great reviews. By the way, it's hull #36-383. Does that mean anything to anyone here?

Welcome aboard. Good luck in your new lifestyle and search.

I have hull#427 so it is an early 74 model. An engine survey would give a better idea of the engines. Seems awfully low on hours though, are the hour meters the same brand as the other gauges or look any different than the other gauges?

Welcome aboard.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

Will you be pleased to get your town back and to be rid of all those 'lympic tourists soon Sergio..? :D

Great games, all the same. Did Rio proud, in spite of the odd 'issue'. :thumb:

Averycat

We are in the same boat, so to speak, in that we are on a plan to find a trawler for Florida cruising and great American trips. We are Floridians and love boating in the gulf but a trawler is an ultimate achievement for our retirement. We have a home base small home in apalchicola Florida and plan on retiring in the next 5 years. We have have already learned a significant amount from this source and really enjoy the friendly advice this forum provides
Averycat and Billybob

We are in the same boat, so to speak, in that we are on a plan to find a trawler for Florida cruising and great American trips. We are Floridians and love boating in the gulf but a trawler is an ultimate achievement for our retirement. We have a home base small home in apalchicola Florida and plan on retiring in the next 5 years. We have have already learned a significant amount from this source and really enjoy the friendly advice this forum provides
Averycat and Billybob

Wifey B: You're in one of our absolutelyflutintootinfavorite towns. We fell in love with it our first time there with all the artists and their studios And the soda fountain and the seafood. But the art is what pushes it over the top to us. :)

I have hull#427 so it is an early 74 model. An engine survey would give a better idea of the engines. Seems awfully low on hours though, are the hour meters the same brand as the other gauges or look any different than the other gauges?

I agree. At 250 hours, that's an average of about 6 hours a year. I'd drill down on that a bit.

Back
Top Bottom