Removing Teak Handrail for re-finishing ashore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
I have a 4.35m (14') teak handrail on each side of the deckhouse...see photos below. I want to remove them and take ashore to sand right back & re-finish. These rails are pretty typical on 1980's trawlers so I am sure others have done this. What should I expect in terms of how they are fastened to/thru the deckhouse side and will I have trouble re-attaching them? (I can see teak plugs on the outer face at each attachment point so I suppose these are covering screw or bolt heads?)

Attachments

• 20160818_091056.jpg
    20160818_091056.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20160818_091035.jpg
    20160818_091035.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 182
Mine were fastened with machine screws. Bungs on the exterior and washer, lockwasher and nut on the inside.

Let us know how this progresses. I have a couple to do.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
Mr. A. I've seen them fastened both ways. With machine screws and wood screws. Depends on the substrate under the FRP if, in fact there is any. You are correct, the bungs conceal the head of the fastener.

I'm not sure I'd bother taking them off.

If you do you have to rebung them, shave down the bung, sand it, feather the varnish around it and build up coats of varnish over it.

Then to blend it all in nicely you'll need to put on at least one coat over the entire hand rail.

I've done it both ways and stopped taking them off to refinish unless rebidding was really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom