View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
oldhatt
Veteran Member

Marine Air Conditioning - Plan B

Boat Air Conditioning is a big topic this time of year. Traditional marine AC systems involve lots money, numerous large and small parts, water pumps, electric wiring and switches and running raw water into your boat through sea cocks, strainers and hoses.

Installation takes real time, effort and expertise. It is not for the faint of heart.

Also, there is always the possibility of a raw water hose splitting or a clamp breaking and your boat sinking.

In over 40 years of live-aboard boating I have always been wary of my marine AC systems and have sought a simpler, safer, cheaper solution.

So I was pleasantly surprised when Janice aboard Seaweed showed in great detail how she solved this problem.

She used a simple $100 Haier air conditioner coupled with a Moby-Cool AC cover. The result is an inexpensive, effective way to keep her boat cool.

She lives on her 23’ Schucker and chronicles her journey on her website.

I had two traditional marine AC systems on my 36’ trawler but have now copied her ideas and installed a 12,000 BTU unit on my boat. It does a great job for me in the sweltering Florida heat.

And if it ever breaks I will just throw it away and spend another $200 for a brand new one.

If you are interested in seeing how Janice keeps cool go to this link:
Moby-Cool a/c cover Installed article on janice142

Fair winds, Blue skies.

M.
On the Florida Gulf Coast, where life is pretty good.
oldhatt is offline   Reply With Quote