How do I know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gahmadi

Vessel Name
Zingara
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39-50
With so many boat names out there, how do I know what names to go with and what names to stay away from?

My wife and I are newcomers to TF and the world of boating. We are researching and searching for our first trawler boat which can be used on weekend excursions to start, then do the GL in a year or two. The amount of information can be overwhelming and conflicting at times. Any advice and insight can be helpful.

Just do use all a favor and pick a name that's easy to read off your transom and easy to say on the radio. :D

With so many boat names out there, how do I know what names to go with and what names to stay away from?

My wife and I are newcomers to TF and the world of boating. We are researching and searching for our first trawler boat which can be used on weekend excursions to start, then do the GL in a year or two. The amount of information can be overwhelming and conflicting at times. Any advice and insight can be helpful.

Welcome. Lots of folks here with great experience and solid information. I'm not one of them, but I learn from the other folks.

As for names, I strongly think that you should pick whatever name makes you and your wife happy. In many ways the name of your boat is a very public expression of who you are. In many ways it will be your first impression given to other boaters. Some things to think about.
- how easy is it to read from a distance? Consider the name as well as the font.
- how easy is it to pronounce, both for yourself but also for someone who is just reading it? I have had the experience of wanting to hail a boat I see but can't figure out how to pronounce it.
- pick a name that you think will wear well over time.

I think the OP is asking about boat brands, not naming a boat.

Thank goodness. I was going to suggest doing a bit better than this fella.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471149038.371647.jpg

Rather than focusing on a brand name define the exact mission you wish the boat to perform.

Welcome to the forum, gahmadi.

Oh my, you have asked a very broad question. Different boaters have different needs and wants and preferences. In order to give you an answer that might be helpful to your situation, my questions to you would be,
1) are you looking for a new boat or a used boat?
2) how much boating experience do you have?
3) can you afford to spend lots of money on fuel, or do you lean toward the more economical manner of boating?
4) how much room on board do you think you will need for a long trip such as the Great Loop?
5) Have you looked at many trawlers? If so, what do you like and not like about them?

I can think of twenty more questions, but that's a good start. Welcome aboard, and three cheers for your awesome dream. Let the boat-buying adventure begin!:dance:

I always wanted to name a boat Jolene due to the lyrics of the song Jolene. My would never approve.

I think the OP is asking about boat brands, not naming a boat.

Indeed he was, but the advice given re boat names, once he's found one, could still be useful I guess..? :D

This topic has been covered previously, check the archives. I seem to remember there was quite a lot of information posted, before the inevitable drift into irrelevancy that so often happens. (Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, sometimes the drift is more interesting than the initial thread)

This topic has been covered previously, check the archives. I seem to remember there was quite a lot of information posted, before the inevitable drift into irrelevancy that so often happens. (Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, sometimes the drift is more interesting than the initial thread)

Ah..indeed, the drift into irrelevancy...the grist to the mill of forums... :D

My twist is, if you are brand new to boating, you want to do the loop in a year or two, and you only plan on weekend jaunts........

The brand of boat is the least of your worries.

Next least is the exact boat....as there is no best.

You need to learn a lot more about boats in general and the demands of the loop....then focus on the boat.

There is an association for loopers, and dozens of great websites, blogs or other that will give you a feel for the loop.

This forum generally will give you great info on specifics. But there are just so many differing opinions on everything boating...you may get frustrated about something that will be entirely your decision based on your needs and preferences.

Some people will discuss all day long on what color your boat should be if you can believe that!!!! :eek:

PM me for the right color.....:D

Craig,
That ship's name is probably the funniest/worst is have ever seen. I laughed so hard I thought I would pee. Can you imagine calling it on the VHF?

go to General Discussion forum. At the top is topic "Boat Search 101".

This would be a unique boat name :)

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

That has to be Welsh....

Thank goodness. I was going to suggest doing a bit better than this fella.

View attachment 55223

Rather than focusing on a brand name define the exact mission you wish the boat to perform.

I worked with a guy once, who said he heard Titan Unranus talking with another vessel, Fairy Queen over the VHF one day.

Thank you. That is what I had in mind.

I always wanted to name a boat Jolene due to the lyrics of the song Jolene. My would never approve.

Then you could sing it every time you hailed someone on the VHF. I can hear it now!. 'Jolene, Jolene, Jooooleeeennnneee'. :)

You can never go wrong with a woman's name on the transom.

regards Holty

You can never go wrong with a woman's name on the transom.

regards Holty

Something like "Bob" is easier and less likely to cause jealousy.

I always liked the "Fog Ducker" out of Vancouver........

Yes, I have always been fond of Spoonerisms.
In this case, of course, it was in reference to the coast-hugging fog prevalent in the port where this skipper sailed out of. He would regularly have to wait for a brief break in the fog, and then "duck out" quick to get out in the clear.
- very apt boat name, with a touch of humour. Mind you, you'd want to be sure to get it right when calling it three times fast on the VHF!

Back
Top Bottom