Yacht Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryant

Guru
Vessel Name
Sakura Perdido
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic
Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable company on the Gulf Coast (preferably Alabama/Florida) that is capable of doing a complete refit of a GB 36 Trawler?

Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable company on the Gulf Coast (preferably Alabama/Florida) that is capable of doing a complete refit of a GB 36 Trawler?

Descripe what you consider a "complete refit".

Complete refit

New wiring, new hoses, possibly new engine or re build of existing one, new electronics, repairs as needed, add bow thruster,

Yes, a complete refit is a tall order. Here are some of the things you might do, with a wag at cost done in a boatyard:

1. New navigation electronics, radar $15k
2. New appliances, air conditioner $15k
3. New generator $15k
4. All new wiring $10-20k
5. Replace exterior teak deck with non skid paint $30+k depending on core replacement
6. Refinish interior teak $10k

As you can see, it is easy to spend $100k on a "complete refit". You need a skilled electrician, carpenter, painter, general boatwright. Little of this is grunt work, so it will take $100/hr at yard rates, maybe half to two thirds if you hire outside contractors.

And you start with a $75k boat, put $100k into it and then you have a $125k boat.

David

Yes, a complete refit is a tall order. Here are some of the things you might do, with a wag at cost done in a boatyard:

1. New navigation electronics, radar $15k
2. New appliances, air conditioner $15k
3. New generator $15k
4. All new wiring $10-20k
5. Replace exterior teak deck with non skid paint $30+k depending on core replacement
6. Refinish interior teak $10k

As you can see, it is easy to spend $100k on a "complete refit". You need a skilled electrician, carpenter, painter, general boatwright. Little of this is grunt work, so it will take $100/hr at yard rates, maybe half to two thirds if you hire outside contractors.

And you start with a $75k boat, put $100k into it and then you have a $125k boat.

David

a really nice $125K boat that if you have to sell quickly, a $75K boat. :eek:

Let's look at it another way. If he were to spend the $175 up front on a boat, will he be able to find one that doesn't need ANY refit? No optimism here.

So what business is it any of ours if he likes and wants to keep his boat? The guy asked for yard recommendations not our personal financial philosophy or advice.

Is it that unusual for a person with financial wherewithal and desire to re-fit his boat? I can think of far less desirable boats that have had money lavished upon them. Many of those folks are members here.

So what business is it any of ours if he likes and wants to keep his boat? The guy asked for yard recommendations not our personal financial philosophy or advice.

Is it that unusual for a person with financial wherewithal and desire to re-fit his boat? I can think of far less desirable boats that have had money lavished upon them. Many of those folks are members here.

Absolutely right...

But if a bunch of experienced people basically backhand the answer...it isn't right, but may make him wary of what yards might do to take advantage of a decision like this.

If its definitely a go...then I would go to a yard that offers project managers and not just a work list...those yards always seem to get lost in the process.

It will cost more on the estimate, but probably less to get what you want.

There are few yards I know of to trust a total refit on.

I'd ask around for who is one of the better independents in your area. One who has a good reputation and is well connected. There's a guy in the Jacksonville area that use to work for Huckins. He went out on his own, knows his limitations and is still well connected with other independents. He's $72/hr vs the full service yards at $95 plus/hr.

We were looking at removing a couple of fuel tanks. The job was to big but he turned us on to a couple of guys who he had worked with before. They quoted a time and materials not to exceed for the job. That's hard to find in most yards. He said he'd work with us as needed.

I don't know how involved you want to be, but just a thought.

If you're talking about Mark I'm doing a refit with him right now on a Burger in Jax. Good guy, good description, I'd hire him for a refit if I was looking. I have his contact info.

:socool:

There's a guy in the Jacksonville area that use to work for Huckins. He went out on his own, knows his limitations and is still well connected with other independents.

You might check on Saunders in Alabama and Seabrook Marine in New Orleans.
Also there reviews of boatyards on Active Captain.

Well said, sometimes it's just about what you want to do, not what is cost effective, happiness has many different cost levels.

Geez, Craig! You promised to keep my project quiet! ( I completely agree with your statement.):blush:

Contact Dog River Marine in Mobile, Al. They usually have a pretty good crew to do all of what you listed.

I highly recommend Progressive Marine Boatyard in St. Petersburg. :thumb:

I don't allow anyone else to touch my boat. They do it all and have done extensive work on my boat over the past few years: fiberglass, engine, electrical, etc.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I am one of them and make no apologies! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom