Propane grill on a Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Big Fish
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
I'm jonesing for a propane grill on my Pilot. But where to store it? I miss the cavernous lockers on my sailboat. Any suggestions for make/model and where you keep and mount it?

Leave it out with cover in a rod holder mount?

I have the advantage of having a vertical stainless steel member over the transom (see the avatar at the left) which supports the bimini. I clamp a Magma grill there and leave it. Unfortunately it is not shown in the avatar pic.

David

Jack,
I store mine in read hold by trim tab tank. Not great but not to many places to put it.

Use the search option on this site. The Weber 1200 is the best out there. Anyway, search for Weber 100, 120, 1200. There are pictures.

Order a fish cleaning table from Marine Connection for about $65. The stalk and leveler will level out your grill in the rod holder. Use stainless u bolts over the legs into the table. Much better than any Magma for a lottttttt less.

The new 1200 series has a split grill, easy to clears in the sink, has optional griddle(s) also split in 1/2. Has foil inserts for drip pan so no mess. Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon has em

Last edited:
Leave it out with cover in a rod holder mount?

I no longer have my pilot but that is exactly what I did with mine. A GOOD cover is worth what you pay at WM($60). Don't by those crappy nylon ones....they weather in the span of less than a year. I had a cover(that recently blew away because I left it off) for over 10 years and it protected the same grill for the same time. And both still had plenty of life in them.

I store my Dickinson Marine Large propane grill under the aft cockpit hatch. When in use, it is mounted on a cutting board (~3ft long) I have mounted on the transom. I clamp the stove to the cutting board. I also store the cutting board under the cockpit.

I have a new Magma kettle grill and am also trying to figure out where to store it. I don't have a generator on my boat, so there is a fairly large empty space in the starboard aft section of the engine room where (I think) the generator would normally go). I may try to figure a way to put a retention net or other means to store stuff there but keep it away from the shaft and other engine components. It seems like that spot would be a perfect fit for the grill and accessories.

I store my Dickinson Marine Large propane grill under the aft cockpit hatch. When in use, it is mounted on a cutting board (~3ft long) I have mounted on the transom. I clamp the stove to the cutting board. I also store the cutting board under the cockpit.

Likewise, kept in storage under the rear dinette seat when not in use. I like the Dickinson because it takes my long skewers for K-bobs and the round grills don't. I have a little plate mounted off my stern that holds (one at a time) the grill, two down riggers, or the generator. Because I can't leave the grill mounted while I fish I put it away, I fish a lot more hours a day than I grill :) The round stern on the Willard limits what you can do off the back at the same time, and the fish cleaning table drops onto the same plate.

I'm jonesing for a propane grill on my Pilot. But where to store it? I miss the cavernous lockers on my sailboat. Any suggestions for make/model and where you keep and mount it?

Or...you could just go for one of these. We love ours, and the beauty of it is, no gas needed, and you can sit or store it virtually anywhere it will fit.

Cobb cookers :whistling:

Or...you could just go for one of these. We love ours, and the beauty of it is, no gas needed, and you can sit or store it virtually anywhere it will fit.

Cobb cookers :whistling:

That's a cool grill. Have you ever cooked a whole chicken on it? Can you sit it on a plastic table and not melt it?

While I realize some may be worried about theft.....but.....just keep the damn thing mounted up and ready!!!!! I have never had a grill stolen....knock on wood. OTOH, I don't worry about where to store it!!!

Marine Connection, Fort Pierce. $65 fish cleaning table. Has rod holder stalk.

Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and so forth. $199.

There....Done...

New grill rig

I took MULE's advice and went with the Weber 1000, plus added a temp gauge. This will mount to a rod holder on the gunnel. Can't wait!

Attachments

• 12928331_10207390055922611_6288099921078961503_n.jpg
    12928331_10207390055922611_6288099921078961503_n.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 90
Marine Connection, Fort Pierce. $65 fish cleaning table. Has rod holder stalk.

Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and so forth. $199.

There....Done...

I made my own table out of PVC board. Bolted the legs of the grill to it and bought 2 pair of rail mount clamps from Mantus. SS U-bolts would have worked too, at a fraction of the cost.

The advantage (in addition to saving $$) of a DIY table is that I got exactly the size I wanted. I also made a 3/4" high edge all the way around, so nothing will roll off the table.

I don't have any pics yet, it's still in storage waiting to be installed on the railing.

Where did you find PVC sheets?

Next to the PVC bedspreads and pillow cases. Try Home Depot if that fails.

Otherwise contact Marine Liquidators in Fort Pierce, Fl. Ask for Roland or whoever. They have, for less than $70 a fish cleaning table with a male rod holder insert that can be leveled in all directions. Two u bolts, and a Weber 1200 for <$200 and you will have the best deal in the free world on a boat grill. Tell Hobart sent ya.
My last house I had a $3000 burner, big grill and cabinet set up. I like this better. Beats the Magmas (yeah, I have had a few of those) into the ground in all ways.

See post 16.

Where did you find PVC sheets?

I picked up a large cutting board at Sams Club and added back & side rails w/ ss screws up from bottom. about $16 for a roughly 10" x 18"... I use it mostly for cocktail & snack table in a rod holder but works w/ a grill or electric fry pan as well. Rod holder w/ an insert makes a great flag holder - best multi purpose addition!

Attachments

• Table 2.jpg
    Table 2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Table 1.jpg
    Table 1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
How much is the rod holder stab in with leveler cost. The PVC is cheap, true.

How much is the rod holder stab in with leveler cost. The PVC is cheap, true.
Forget what I paid..
Not cheap but felt the qualty & multi use was worth it. Same for a good quality rod holder...went for quality as it's a flag holder...table...grilll holder.
Maybe not the answer for everyone
Just an ideaworth considering

$50 West Marine retail

My point is that the fish cleaning table comes with that piece for less than $70, and the have a larger one for about $80, already assembled and ready to go. I spent something like that for the stab in from Magma, then fabricated an aluminum plate table mount for my grill. Then I saw what Marine Liquidators were peddling for about 2/3 or less than what I spent, that looks better than mine.
I just wanted folks to know what was available cheap, apples foe apples sort of thing. The PVC board is cheap, the male rod stab in, not so much.

BTW, the wood trim is very classy.

How do the Webbers hold up in the wind? Our Magma would always blow out. The rectangular no-name-brand SS grill from Amazon is much better, but still loses a lot of heat if there's a stiff breeze, and will blow out in strong gusts.

I'm thinking of making an aluminum wind shield I can unfold around 3 sides. Testing with some disposable foil cookie sheets seems promising.

Still, if the Webber will stay lit without the wind protection, I'd consider going that route.

It will blow out but it is not hypersensitive. You hav 10 Knots Ok...after that it will get iffie.

Jack D, now all you need is a wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet at WalMart. :blush:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 50
Jack D, now all you need is a wind deflector, 98 cent cookie sheet at WalMart. :blush:
2 or 3 sides easy drill holes & use split rings for hinges to fold up flat

2 or 3 sides easy drill holes & use split rings for hinges to fold up flat

I hadn't thought of split rings, good idea! I was wondering how I was going to hinge them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom