View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
CraigC

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
newbie (Planning to) liveaboard in the SF Bay Area

Hey all, been wanting to do this for a decade or two, not tied up to anything, so may as well tie up to the dock. Well, need to sell the house first. But other than that.. yeah.

Lurked TF for awhile, signed up, a couple PMs later, here I am. Lots of very helpful and generous folks here. Hopefully I'll earn my keep on board.

Probably still a few months off, but I have heard that it likely WILL take that long. Maybe November, more likely December, before I even have money to spend on a boat.

Toughest decision looks like I'll be confronting thus far: Hull type and LWL. How can I get a "wondertrawler," full-time liveaboard for a couple, w/cook-friendly galley, cruises at 11-12kt, sea-kindly 25 miles offshore, handles 8' following seas well, fishable for salmon and halibut from the aft deck (4 or 5' freeboard aft, max... oh, and no exterior teak to bloody up), with two heads and sleeps 4 below and 1 up, for about $100-125K. (I am single at 50 y/o, but will be plotting a course to find an Admiral to cruise with, in the decades to come.)

I have given up on anything in the 1990's vintage, and am browsing 1970's and 80's trawlers.

Thanks to all for the thoughtful and sincere posts here! I look forward to participating, as soon as I start to learn what the hell I will be trying to talk about.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote