Anyone upgrade the AC unit in Pilot 30II?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

altouchet

I have a 2004 Pilot 30 II with the Air Conditioning unit under the the v-berth.
It's a 7000 BTU unit. I would like to upgrade to 10K or 12K but having trouble finding one with similar dimensions to fit the same area. There is extra room in the compartment for a longer unit, but not much extra room in width or height.
Has anyone made an upgrade to this unit? If so, what brand and model did you install.
Thanks!

Does your boat have issues with keeping cool??? Or are you only stuck on the number and thinking it is not capable??? Mine had a 7k unit and it did fine in the Texas heat...

If you do upgrade, don't forget about upsizing wires, breakers, condenser pump and hoses(depending on flow rates), etc.

Yes, It's not keeping up very well. Of course the water temp is almost 90 right now! It will catch up at night time, but during the day it will run continuously and never get below around 84.

Altouchet,
I have the same issues. I'm thinking along with the heat, (temps upper 90's and water temps in the 80's) it could be low Freon or partially blocked coil? Defender sells a 6000 btu replacement unit that fits in the same foot print. I have seen a Marine Air 9000 btu replacement unit that will fit also. I need to put a set of gauges on my unit and check the high and low numbers first before I will attempt to replace.

Hey Al. I just realized who this is. Met you at Spring Fling. I'm friends with JD and Peti. GOod luck with your AC and maybe see you around!!

Hey Baker,
I knew it was you! I'm not sure why mine is not keeping up so well. I'm surprised to hear yours worked fine. I remember when I owned JD's boat.....the air conditioner was just adequate, not anything great, but my current one is not working as well as JD's. I'm going to try blowing out the lines to see if that might help.

Hey Baker,
I knew it was you! I'm not sure why mine is not keeping up so well. I'm surprised to hear yours worked fine. I remember when I owned JD's boat.....the air conditioner was just adequate, not anything great, but my current one is not working as well as JD's. I'm going to try blowing out the lines to see if that might help.

And I will say, might was not great...just adequate like you said. I guess just clean up everything that you can and see what happens. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom