How to store boat when away?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

folivier

As we're narrowing down our potential boat and getting closer to buying we've also been talking a lot about how and where we will use the boat. At particular times of the year the boat may be 500-1000 miles from where we live. We would probably visit the boat every month or 2 while it's away. Should we be concerned about leaving the boat that long when we are a couple days away? Or should we have it hauled out and stored at a yard?
Just looking for suggestions on what others have done in similar situations.

My boat gets winterized sometime mid October and I do not go back to it until mid March. Winter is travel time for us Alaskans. :)

The boat stays in the water, plugged in.

I have a boat watch service that checks on it at least weekly.

And a very good alarm system that alerts me if anything is amiss.

Plus cameras.

Our boat should never be in areas where it will need to be winterized.
What services does the boat watch service do? Just walk by or go inside to check things?
I'll probably add an alarm system with a high water alarm. Not sure if I'll have good enough internet for a camera.

What services does the boat watch service do? Just walk by or go inside to check things?
I'll probably add an alarm system with a high water alarm. Not sure if I'll have good enough internet for a camera.

Check outside of boat. Dock lines, power cords, fenders. Shovel snow when necessary (Very rare in my location).

They will check bilges if you want. I do not have them do that. I have several high water sensors, along with temp, intrusion, dc battery, ac power, alarm etc...

You may have enough internet to send images when needed, and not enough to live stream. Check the camera capabilities.

One option is to use a DVR/NVR to record and control the cameras on the boat and it decides when you should know about something moving aboard.

Stu

Location would be important (cold mostly the issue). If you are going to leave it in the water consider a service that will check on the boat every other week or so.

If you will be using the boat every other month when visiting it, it doesn't make economic sense to haul out and then relaunch.

All good advise above, would add close all sea-cocks (and if difficult to close then change out now to high quality new ones).
I'd put the hauling out point at 4 months or more, but that's just my opinion.

If at dock, have a light on in cabin to visibly show power is ON to anyone outside the boat. This way you know the battery charger (bilge pump) is up to snuff. There should be no need to have someone do an internal inspection. But you should make arrangements with the marina to let them have keys, and the understanding that someone is keeping an eye on the constant power. This will usually incur a charge. Maybe a competent regular neighbor slip holder?

I am on a mooring. To slake my curiosity I installed a 'bilge pump counter' on my boat. In the last 4 week cycle of me being home using boat for 2 weeks and leaving boat on mooring for 2 weeks the bilge pump came on -0- times. So i feel comfortable leaving my boat on mooring with a solar panel to keep batteries up.

And as MM sez. Close ALL seacocks when you leave boat. Only thing open to the sea should be the bilge pump discharge.

We have an alarm system, boat Nanny and a weekly exterior and interior check. Can monitor the boat any where there is cell service. Puget sound requires no wintering, we live the boat exactly like we live on it, plugged in with heat and lights on. Having an alarm system is peace of mind, high water, temp salon and engine room, motion, and sound. Alarm sends a status text daily.

Your ins company may have restrictions. Mine does . Don't assume.

I second the camera suggestion if you have the internet service to pull it off. I put one on my boat a few weeks ago and now I don't know how I went without it. Just ordered a second for the engine room.

not to high-jack the thread, but would be good information to it if those that have monitoring systems post what kind and the monthly service cost if any? Thanks!

Great ideas so far, and please post the type of alarms, etc. you use.
I have a Fortress alarm system at the house and might install one in the boat since I can add a high water alarm and camera. But would be interested in what other monitoring systems are out there.

Back
Top Bottom