Surplus Kubota 48hp swap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrwesson

Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34
Lets say for arguments sake I found an albin 27 with a bad engine but immaculate systems/solid for 2k.

What's stopping me from installing this Kubota diesel 48hp? I read about a bloke who did this swap on another forum I frequent and he put it into a Jeep Wrangler..

1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap - Expedition Portal

They go for around 2-$3,000 in rebuilt condition and only weight about 400lbs.

The other side of me realizes if something can be done it would have already been done but an internet search turned up pretty much nothing(unless I searched the wrong thing).

Kubota V2203 Di or IDI Diesel Engine Rebuilt | eBay

Am I barking up a fallen tree?

Not at all, once how you figure out how to cool the engine and dispose of the exhaust. Then there is the marine transmission issue and propping but sounds like it could reasonably be done.

Eighty to 100hp would be better but if you are OK with 6 knots fine. The low hp may impeed resale a bit. Most people lean toward over rather than underpower.

Typical repower issues may/will pop up. Exhaust, controls, engine mounts, service side and other stuff may not be a graceful swap due to the location of things. Starter location being in the way of engine stringers is often an issue w automotive/tractor engines. Height of trans output shaft re engine mounts may be an issue.

The Albin 27 is an excellent hull. So if you do your homework and this engine is a good matchup all will be well but usually some battles will need to be fought.

IIRC, Janice142 put a small Kubota in her small Schuckers and she ran into quite a few issues getting the marinization done correctly.

Because of shaft alignment, motor mounts, controls, and so on, it's easier and cheaper to rebuild the existing engine or replace with another like it, than a different engine.
If you're looking at marinizing a Kubota, marine parts are probably available, but overall may cost as much as a marine engine. A non-marine, hokey installation greatly reduces the resale value.

No need to use an old engine.
Just need to research all the hookups and spaces.
Repowers are'nt magic .. just good mechanics.
Consider all the hookups and spaces.
And after you start looking (open mind helps) engines will come up that you'd never even thought about.
Just think like a young man and go for it. And also like an old man and cover your bases. Just stay away from the hard to match up combinations.

Janice`s issues leapt to my mind too. If you can find as identical as possible an engine in good order go for it. But if you have to redo all the other ancillaries to get it working, no, not a good idea.

Lets say for arguments sake I found an albin 27 with a bad engine but immaculate systems/solid for 2k.quote}

Mrwesson-:flowers: Unless I missed something it might be good to let the forum know what make and model the 'Bad Engine' is. The forum membership then could assist in recommending replacement engines that fit the foot print of your current engine or locate a replacement of same make and model. Just saying:angel:

Al-Ketchkan 27'Marben pocket CRUISER

Replacing an old engine will help resale as many folks do not to wait weeks while parts are found and shipped.

A small engine of 20-30 Hp can be found at most truck reefer shops.

Find identical running ones , usually 3 for a grand.Free spare parts.

No need to overpower a boat , you wont be advertising it in a magazine.

3 Hp per ton is fine , over 5Hp per ton on a displacement boat just costs fuel.

Let me summarize some of the issues that came up with Janice's Kubota marinization:

1. Mounting and driving a raw water pump
2. Design of a raw water to coolant heat exchanger
3. Use of a non jacketed exhaust manifold and insulating it
4. Exhaust elbow, riser and water injection mixer.

Beta Marine solves all of these issues for you, but at a price.

David

Once you hit the domino there is no easy way to back out. While I really like Kubota, from your description of the boat in question going back with like for like is the way to go.
Reminds me of my hot rodding in my youth. The futher I got away from stock the more I wished I had left well enough alone. Seems the Detroit engineers knew what they were doing. The Murphy Law of unintended consequences continued to beat me like a rented mule. My new best friend was the guy at the speed shop. The more I bought the bigger the promises and the worse the car ran.
There ya go...rebuild, overhaul or replace like for like. Might look like it would cost more but when it is all done and said, not likely.

"she ran into quite a few issues getting the marinization done correctly".

She chose local dock walkers to do the job , instead of asking how it should be done.

I've done a marinization like that. It was time consuming, but worked out well. The V2203 I think was factory marinized by Universal, so there are likely some parts out there.

On mine, I fab'd a welded dry exh manifold, a custom mixer, used a Sendure HX and a custom made adapter plate between trans and engine. My engine did not have an SAE bell, thus had to go custom. Good chance the V2203 has SAE bell, so you can buy the adapter from the tranny company. It was handy to have a plasma cutter, tig welder, lathe and vertical mill.

I looked up the boats in question. Many have 4 cylinder ford leaman. Why on earth would anyone want to change from that? Kubota is good but stir in the refit changes...no way.

"Many have 4 cylinder ford leaman. Why on earth would anyone want to change from that?"

If the Econopower is shot upgrading by 40 years means parts will be available in 20 -30 years.

The parts are readily available for FL now. I guess that matters if you are 35 years old and never sell anything, up grade and so forth. Or Like my cousin in law that still has his bought new Austin Healy 2000. BTW, he still gets parts.

I looked up the boats in question. Many have 4 cylinder ford leaman. Why on earth would anyone want to change from that? Kubota is good but stir in the refit changes...no way.

Lots of vibration comes to mind. Have'nt experenced it but it is regularly mentioned.

What engines are inferior to an FL? By your words there must be many. The best engine is mostly the amount of power it delivers. From there it's availability, size and weight, durability and dependability, parts and service availibility, noise and vibration, engine mount options along w transmission/bell housing adaption posibilities, brand bragging rights on the dock .. even color and paint.

Think about it ... there really aren't any bad engines out there. Just engines most suitable to the person involved .. needs and wants.

"The parts are readily available for FL now. I guess that matters if you are 35 years old and never sell anything, up grade and so forth."

NOPE , boat purchasers are not imbeciles and tend to check into things like parts and parts prices.

See all the comments on Volvo parts supply and pricing on any boat board.

Which engine marinizer , and what base engine will be chosen and built as a drop in is a good question for whenever the Ford is over.

Last edited:
Re FF's post I recall hearing numerous tales about some marineizers that were not so good. Most folks will blame the engine though.

A lot of marineizers don't have the engineers and other tech that engine manufacturers do. Yes I agree a marineizer shoul be chosen w some research.

Ur imbecile remark, if true, how can one explain the continued existence of Westerbeke?

Last edited:
Put me in the "stay close to original" camp unless you own a boatyard or a machine shop.

Hey Mule cool your jets.
Who you call'in an imbecile?
Don't see no Westerbeke.

Last edited:
Sorry Eric, I have a Westy generator. I have had horrible experiences with a dealer, distributer AND the front office. My experience showed me they have a disconnect in the understanding that the end user is the ONLY customer. Not the boat manufacturer, the parts distributer or dealer.

BTW, great generator, until you need something. The $207 3cylinder head gasket stressed my head gasket.

Yahhhh I see ...

Yes I hear Westerbroke isn't the best but I mostly put them on my no list because they had an aluminum manifold .. as most of the others. They had a cast iron Kabota that turned 2500rpm and was a bit too big. Really wanted that one but shortly they dropped it from the lineup.
Re the $200 head gasket did you try tractor dealers? Prolly woul'da had one for $50.

I'm getting my oil filters from NAPA now. Wonder how good they are? I usually get OEM from my engine supplier. Funny though as they give me Isuzu oil filters. My favorite engine is Isuzu from Yukon Engines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom