Albin 27 owners out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Are there any Albin 27 owners on TF? My wife and I would love to chat with you about this vessel. We use to own an A-25 and have thought about downsizing to an A-27 in the future but would like to talk with folks about them if possible.

Keith and Katie

Keith,
There's one for sale on K float in LaConner. Can't recomend it though .. it's rough. Met the owner .. liked him but the boat's a fixer upper.

Keith, There're lots of Albin 27 owners on the "Albin Owners Group" site on Yahoo groups. I check in almost every night. I've owned one for about 3 years now and love it. I generally cruise the inland lakes and rivers here in Tennessee, but plan on going down the TN and Tombigbee to visit some friends in FL. I love to talk boats and especially the 27FC. Mine is an '87 and I strongly recommend getting one of the later (86 and later) versus the '83 or '84 models unless you can find an older model that has been completely gone through by a knowledgeable boat person. The newer models are just built better than the older ones. PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call. Ben

Thanks Eric. I have been chatting with the owner. It is getting listed and moved to Seattle where I might go aboard to check it out and get a feel for it. Has a Lehman which would not be my first choice.

Keith,
Many say the 4 cyl FL shakes so they probably do. I don't know if the back cylinder has cooling problems like the 6. Other than that (depending on how you like vibration) if it's in good shape?.....

May be better than the Nissan 6 cyl and most that I've heard of had the Nissan but I'm quite sure they have parts problems. Related to Chrysler I think. I had a 6 cyl Nissan car (Maxima) some years ago w a 3 liter 6cyl diesel. It probably was that engine. It was very noisy unless it had a heavy load on it.

Just for laughs an OB may be good on this boat. Require a stern mod though. Wanna learn FG layup?

Thanks Eric. I don't think I am ready to do that modification at this time. ?? We are still a ways off on this change. I was actually aboard this boat several years ago when a friend was looking at it. The Alaska Bulkhead modification was an interesting one for the PNW winter cruising potential, and we will still go look at it to see if they are a serious contender.

Thanks Jay,

I am a member there as well and have been reading and asking questions. I wanted to cover all my bases by posting here too because of the depth of boat knowledge and experience in this group.

I feel like I have both groups on speed dial and read them regularly.

Keith

Thanks Jay,

I am a member there as well and have been reading and asking questions. I wanted to cover all my bases by posting here too because of the depth of boat knowledge and experience in this group.

Keith

Ok cool. I don't go into that section often so didn't recognize you.

Hi - I'm a new owner of a 27...did a lot of research and learned a lot from the Albinowners forum as well. I have the Lehman...the previous owner basically rebuilt the engine (and the rest of the boat)...if you are ok cruising at 6.5 knots, worth reconsidering. Feel free to pm if you'd like to chat further. Good luck!

Lehman 4 vs Lehman power 4D61

Keith,
Many say the 4 cyl FL shakes so they probably do. I don't know if the back cylinder has cooling problems like the 6. Other than that (depending on how you like vibration) if it's in good shape?.....

May be better than the Nissan 6 cyl and most that I've heard of had the Nissan but I'm quite sure they have parts problems. Related to Chrysler I think. I

I expect the Lehman 4 you are referring to is the English 4 cyl similiar to the venerable Lehman 6. The 4 cyl in the Albin 27's was a Peugeot based engine , also used by Volvo, Ventus and others as well as the 504 Peugeot car in diesel and gas version where it is an incredibly long lived engine. The Lehman 4D61 was assembled in USA but is different from the uk tractor based engine. There are no cooling problems that I have ever heard of.
There is an engine takeout on eBay from Florida where the idiot is trying to say you can get parts from ford dealers , new holland etc. he won't change the ad which is annoying I hope somebody does not get caught out, espically at the inflated price he is asking.
Oh, also the Nissan 6 that Albin used it is unrelated to the Chrysler 6, it's a good engine but the water cooled exhaust risers are not available and a failure is not good for the engine!
Below is photo of the Peugeot based Lehman model 4D61. 61hp.
Given a choice I would buy an A27 with a newer replacement Yanmar engine in it.
But I'm happy with the engine I have.
Warren

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 241
warren,
Thanks for the very informative information. Stick around we need guys like you. Read some of the archives and see if you like our style .. if you find any.
Peugeot I agree is good machinery.
How do you run your 27? About 9 knots and 2gph I'm just guessing.

Warren,

Your post was very helpful as I decide which way to go with this boat. I appreciated your candor and will continue to look for the right boat. Right now I am leaning towards a Yanmar power plant in a late 80's to early 90's boat, the windows of the later models have more appeal and potentially less maintainence to deal with. But if the right boat came along and I could actually repower it reasonably, that could be a good option.

Regardless, Thanks for the reply.

Albin 27fc

Hi, thanks for you nice comments.
I post on the Albin(AOG) forum (& yahoo group) which has a specific section for the A27 and A25 even though the only thing in common is their age and the aft cabin!
The A 27's with the Lehman Peugeot runs about 7 knots and 3/4 gal/ hr.
When repowered with lighter Yanmars 88-130hp they can get up an go a stunning 11-12 knots if you want.
The very late/last models 91-93 came with aluminum pilot house window frames which is a nice plus, but they all seemed to come with the plastic Beckson port lights. Although the I've not checked the last ones made these portlights were poorly installed with screws only into wood in the inside of the cabin sides. Needless to say they come loose overtime and leak leading to rot of the wood , more leaks etc etc. Thru bolting is the Beckson preferred install and many owners have or should have by now re bedded and thru bolted, a lot of work and be sure to find a boat that has had this done.
The late models also came with some big engines , 180 hp Mercruiser/ BMW /VM motors 6 cyl and even over 200hp Cummings. They must have beefed up the hulls for these big engines so a nice up grade. Reportedly they can run 16-18knts which is suprizingly given the so called displacement hull, but it has an almost flat run aft that with a deep rail added to the hull sides aft it actually works. I can't imagine what the rid or noise will be like though.
Most estimates for repowering are about $20000.00. 10-12 for engine and the rest for install. A labor of love unless you have a better source.
Warren
'84 Albin 27FC

Keith, There're lots of Albin 27 owners on the "Albin Owners Group" site on Yahoo groups. I check in almost every night. I've owned one for about 3 years now and love it. I generally cruise the inland lakes and rivers here in Tennessee, but plan on going down the TN and Tombigbee to visit some friends in FL. I love to talk boats and especially the 27FC. Mine is an '87 and I strongly recommend getting one of the later (86 and later) versus the '83 or '84 models unless you can find an older model that has been completely gone through by a knowledgeable boat person. The newer models are just built better than the older ones. PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call. Ben
Do you know anything about this group? I put in to join the group a while back and have heard nothing. It gave an administrator button. When I hit it, it said that it was disabled.

Do you know anything about the ABO group? I tried to join. They won't get back to me.

Looks like you have joined and have 26 posts already. Maybe you are looking in the wrong spot.

Albin Owners Group is alive and well! I just left the site. Sometimes it takes a moderator a couple of days to get back to you. I'll wish you welcome in advance! Ben

Reviving an old thread!

I've been reading and learning tons on here, and joined the AOG, as well. My plans are to purchase a 27FC soon, and base it in SE Florida.
Looking for one in pretty nice cruising condition to begin my adventure, any leads much appreciated! Mike

Back
Top Bottom