Pender Harbour grounding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Last edited:
Goes to show that even professional crews make mistakes.

Have to laugh at the rampant speculation on anti-social media via Google.
"Hit a submerged container."
"Depth gauge that is required to beep, failed."

On the other hand, a local reports having seen her dangerously close to rocks in Colburne Passage, near Swartz Bay.

If somebody is in over their head, Pender Harbour was a very fortunate place for this to happen.

I like the little airplane that's tethered topside.

Any updates on the news HW? It looked like the pumps were getting the water out, but where can they haul that thing for repairs? At least they have some good weather. The only seas will be from the ferries and the curious.

Any updates on the news HW? It looked like the pumps were getting the water out, but where can they haul that thing for repairs? At least they have some good weather. The only seas will be from the ferries and the curious.
Mostly old news now but it seems like they tried to clean the bottom in the approach to Pender Harbour and made it inside before overtaken.

Where will they take her out? Good question. Maybe one or two spots on Vancouver Island, otherwise the Fraser River or Vancouver harbour.

Tad likely knows.

I would be nervous getting towed when the on,y thing keeping me afloat were the pumps.

They will probably inflate bags inside the hull.

That would make sense. What a mess. I feel sorry for the owners. Insurance will cover much of the loss, but think of all the personal items in stern that may have gotten flooded.

That would make sense. What a mess. I feel sorry for the owners. Insurance will cover much of the loss, but think of all the personal items in stern that may have gotten flooded.

According to the news report all persons on board left the scene on a chartered float plane. With exception of the Capt.
Was the owner on board?
If so he can't be to concerned about his boat.

According to the news report all persons on board left the scene on a chartered float plane. With exception of the Capt.
Was the owner on board?
If so he can't be to concerned about his boat.

Hard to know. The only person that I know well that has a boat in a similar category would take his family, leave the boat in the hands of the paid captain, and make alternate vacation plans.

If your boat was in peril would you get on a plane and leave it?

I think that depends on who you ask, their involvement in the boat or perhaps the importance of the boat in their life. For some people the boat is just another fun part of life that can be replaced as needed. Some boats are owned by corporations and there is little if any personal involvement by users. It may have been a charter?
I know I'd stick around, but I don't make anything of the fact that these people left...
No?
Bruce

No loss of life is the main thing, property loss can be settled with the insurance claim. That is one big boat.

I'm so confused. According to my charts (CHS), Pender Harbour is up east of Texada Island, but there is no Pender Island up there. On the other hand, N and S Pender Islands are down in the Gulf Islands, but there is no Pender Harbour down there.

Where the heck did this happen?

I'm so confused. According to my charts (CHS), Pender Harbour is up east of Texada Island, but there is no Pender Island up there. On the other hand, N and S Pender Islands are down in the Gulf Islands, but there is no Pender Harbour down there.

Where the heck did this happen?

Good point. How many "Penders" do you folks need up there?
BTW, wasn't Poet's Cove called Pender Harbour in the old days?

Max Simmons; said:
BTW, wasn't Poet's Cove called Pender Harbour in the old days?
No, that would be Pender Island, not Pender Harbour.

Now, I'm headed for the beach to see if I can see Mr. Hays go by Stuart Island.

That would be Stuart Island WA not BC.

Oh, he's going to the east, headed for Friday Harbor I guess. I won't see him.

Last edited:
No, that would be Pender Island, not Pender Harbour.

Now, I'm headed for the beach to see if I can see Mr. Hays go by Stuart Island.

That would be Stuart Island WA not BC.

Oh, he's going to the east, headed for Friday Harbor I guess. I won't see him.

Yup, we decided to clear customs in Friday Harbor then maybe anchor somewhere in Lopez for the night to get ready to cross the Strait in the morning. I just need to get a little further west get on the correct side of the ebb.

Btw, it sounds as if there is a sailboat aground across from Keith's place there by Wallace island. Two boats are competing for the business it sounds like.

...How many "Penders" do you folks need up there?...

At least three - North Pender Island, South Pender, and then Pender Harbour (completely separate to the north as I recall). We're leaving on our annual charter sailing tomorrow morning and Pender/Poets Cove is on the sail plan. Would have been odd to see that super yacht resting on its props in Poets Cove.

well sometimes it can be easy to hit a rock. I turn right instead of left in Foggy Bay, Alaska and almost ended up on the rocks.....................

Back
Top Bottom