Hauled out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
We had William hauled out yesterday for new bottom ,boot stripe and seacock maintance .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 258
Good luck, hope you get back in quickly. Do you liv aboard? We do so every haul out makes life complicated. We seem to have to haul about every 6 months for one thing or another. Two years ago the boatyard renamed our boat yo yo. She had to be hauled 5 times in about 10 weeks. But now we have been 14 months. Hauling tomorrow for a scrub and replace the anodes in Cambridge MD.

Thanks . No we don't live aboard . Still working . Maybe one of these days we'll take an extended cruise on the river system.

Good luck, Marty!

Don't you just hate seeing your boat in the air on slings like a fish out of water?

Had my boat hauled out last month where it stayed in the boatyard for four weeks. Except for awaiting a couple of parts (not critical to the boat's operation), work was completed in two weeks. Work included engine maintenance, rebuilding raw-water pump, bottom inspection/maintenance, diagnosing inverter, and several minor items. Of course, the parts arrived two days after taking the boat back. :banghead:

I have the boat hauled annually.

Good luck, Marty!

Don't you just hate seeing your boat in the air on slings like a fish out of water?
Thanks Al .Yeah I hated to pull it right in the middle of our season but wanted to get ahead of the rush in the fall . Here is another pic . Replacing shaft and rudder zincs also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 205
This yard will let us do a little work ourselves on William while here. Joy is up for it as well .
TF's Island bound came by for a visit today and took this pic . Thanks Richard .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 231
The infamous Joy, the Viscountess of Varnish! Great pic!

Replacing shaft and rudder zincs also.[/QUOTE]

What metal are your anodes? Zinc, Aluminum, magnesium? We spend a lot of time in brackish water, and also some fresh water, as well as salt water. We switched to Aluminum, for our application.

Al we just saw TF' s Bob Duthie 36 Grand Banks last week . His varnish is the best we've seen. Joy said it's time for more on William , maybe this fall .tadhana our's are zinc . William came from salt water . I think the yard said we needed magnesium for this area .

Marty, try moving your rudder zinc to the bottom of the rudder, out of the prop wash - it diminished the vibration I was having and makes the rudder more effective.

Marty,
Those people in front of William .. are they normal sized people? William looks huge behiend them. Did'nt reaiize she was that big.
I'm getting back to Willy and feeling good about it. Will be hauling her very soon too. Clean and new coat of bottom paint, zincs and other usual stuff. Not insignificant is that I'm going back to the old prop. Except for reverse thrust the old one has better performance. Gets rated rpm plus a bit (perfect) but is a tad pink and thin. Only 40hp to feed it but I'm going to have it checked out first. Saturday I pulled only 2700rpm but most of that is probably bottom growth.
Anyway good luck w you'rs Marty.

Xsbank,
One of the first things I did on Willy is move the two zincs up near the top of the rudder out of the propwash. Close to the hull there's less water velocity so even less drag. Fly stuff I'm sure but ......

Last edited:
...I hated to pull it right in the middle of our season but wanted to get ahead of the rush in the fall ...

Early summer is the worse season here so that's when I prefer to suspend boating for maintenance and repair. The winds are generally the fiercest at this time. For instance, had planned to take the boat out today, but it was cold with howling, strong winds, so we spent the afternoon in the marina.

LOL! Marty's only 3' 11"...stretched!
That's a good one Al , but just the other day a guy told me he saw someone shorter than me but it cost him a quarter .

Thanks Xsbank and Eric that's good to know .

Marty

William looks great in the water or out of the water. She's got substance and pinash! :thumb:

Making some progress . William gettin some long overdue bottom love .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 199
William is well loved. Get her painted and back on the river Marty, y'all have miles to put under the keel still.

Replacing shaft and rudder zincs also.

What metal are your anodes? Zinc, Aluminum, magnesium? We spend a lot of time in brackish water, and also some fresh water, as well as salt water. We switched to Aluminum, for our application.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please confirm they are not Zinc's with you on the TN River.

Assuming you're still around Paris, TN, who is hauling it out for you?

What metal are your anodes? Zinc, Aluminum, magnesium? We spend a lot of time in brackish water, and also some fresh water, as well as salt water. We switched to Aluminum, for our application.

Yes, please confirm they are not Zinc's with you on the TN River.

Assuming you're still around Paris, TN, who is hauling it out for you?[/QUOTE]
When we bought William four years ago she was in salt water and these are what's left of the the zinc's . We had the boat trucked to Paris Landing . I didn't know at the time that zincs are not for fresh water.:facepalm: We are going back with magnesium . There was only half of the zinc left on the shaft . The other half blew off when we pressure washed .
Sunset Harbor Hill in Murray ,Ky. hauled the boat out and is doing the bottom job . It's 22 miles north of Paris Landing .

Last edited:
Man that is great, I just had the conversation yesterday with the electrician about getting the Rose ready for the 5 hour trip to the yard. 4 weeks and I'll be swinging in the breeze. William is looking good, are you going back with the same color?

Man that is great, I just had the conversation yesterday with the electrician about getting the Rose ready for the 5 hour trip to the yard. 4 weeks and I'll be swinging in the breeze. William is looking good, are you going back with the same color?
Thanks Paul , The yard really likes to use black in this area . I would rather go back with red but I'm going with their suggestion . I'm going to lower the bottom paint line aft about 4" and raise the the bottom paint line about 2 or 3" at the bow . Then I'm adding a burgundy boot stripe about 4 to 5" wide on top of that .

Sweet!

Good looking boat in and out of the water. Amazing how they seem to grow when out of the water.

Sunset Harbor Hill in Murray ,Ky. hauled the boat out and is doing the bottom job . It's 22 miles north of Paris Landing .

I had no idea they hauled out or did bottom painting. Do you know the capacity of their lift, sizes of boats they can handle?

Good looking boat in and out of the water. Amazing how they seem to grow when out of the water.
Thanks cardude .
BandB the lift is not that big but I will check it out . There are two others in the area Green Turtle Bay and also Rottering . Both of these are on the Cumberland River but still pretty close . We used Harbor Hill because it was only 1 hr drive from the house and he will let us do some small projects on the boat ourselves while on the hard , plus everyone I talked with gave them high ratings on bottom jobs .Super nice good ol boys and big on getting it dry as possible before paint .

Getting deeper into bottom job and repairs William is revealing some interesting previous bottom work . At some point after the original build somebody decided to flatten out the aft sections . Not sure why or when this was done .I know that early on she was a work boat with reel in the aft deck and outriggers . It doesn't appear to be a repair because it was done on both sides .
Eric , or anyone if you're looking on maybe you help me understand why someone would want to modify /flatten out the hull aft sections .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72
Getting deeper into bottom job and repairs William is revealing some interesting previous bottom work . At some point after the original build somebody decided to flatten out the aft sections . Not sure why or when this was done .I know that early on she was a work boat with reel in the aft deck and outriggers . It doesn't appear to be a repair because it was done on both sides .
Eric , or anyone if you're looking on maybe you help me understand why someone would want to modify /flatten out the hull aft sections .

Less roll in seas... especially beam seas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom