Bolts that hold the plate behind the prop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenneth

I recently hit a large object with my prop on my 1974 MT. It knocked it out of balance and caused the bolts that held the plate behind the prop to lossen and it's bolts backed completely out leaving the plate dangling on the shaft. I am trying to replace these bolts and change out the prop. I cannot figure out how these long bolts were installed. There is no plate that I can see that they would bolt into inside the holes. How do they go back into the boat? Does anyone know? Any suggestions?

I can guess, but would prefer to see a picture to make it a semi educated guess.

There is a shaft log that holds a cutless bearing that holds support the shaft. The cutless bearing has groves cut in it to allow water to pass thru, and it usually made of some sort of rubber material. Cutless braring wear out and have to be replaced. The bolts are usually epoxy fiber glassed in. Shaft should not be touching the metal housing of the shaft log. Hope this helps. :flowers:

Yes, the female threads are glassed into the hull. You may have to glass new ones in

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Assume you are now hauled out in a shipyard? Turn it over to the crew there to fix, could be a fair size job by the sound of it.

My 1977 MT 34 has hanger bolts into the end of the keel. They are like wood screws on one end and half-inch machine screws on the other. They are solid bronze and available from Jamestown Distributors. If you have stripped out the threads in the keel, you should fill with epoxy before threading in the new ones.

Its a little bit bigger deal than most boat owners are prepared to handle, its a critical part of the eng and shaft alignment. Best to leave this type of work to the boatyard pros if any.

To properly finish my post: I neglected to mention that whatever you do, the prop should be reconditioned, the shaft checked to see if it is bent, and the engine realigned when it is finished. Otherwise, it's gonna vibrate like a sonofagun.

To properly finish my post: I neglected to mention that whatever you do, the prop should be reconditioned, the shaft checked to see if it is bent, and the engine realigned when it is finished. Otherwise, it's gonna vibrate like a sonofagun.

Which is why I completely agree with this post...

Its a little bit bigger deal than most boat owners are prepared to handle, its a critical part of the eng and shaft alignment. Best to leave this type of work to the boatyard pros if any.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom