New poster and a new (to me) boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Hi, first post from Australia.
We have both recently turned 50, and the wife has been made redundant so thats it, retired from the work force.............or is that forced work;).
Time for another boat so we have taken the rather frightening move of signing and having accepted a contract on a converted 60ft timber trawler with an NT855 Cummins as a live-aboard living on the hook.
She has been neglected for several years and does have some exterior cosmetic issues, most of which I, as a boatbuilder can chip away at while on the water.
The engine runs like a dream and the majority of the systems work fine, though the battery bank appears dead so will need replacement with a solar addition and the low hour genset spins over but doesnt fire up so I am suspecting a fuel issue.

Fingers crossed on the upcoming slipping and survey.

Welcome aboard. And congratulations on the boat -- sounds like a great project, and lots of help available here on the Forum.

Stop the rain water first, but you probably know that. I have a 1942 wood hull. Copper bottom.
Years ago, my ship had a close encounter with HMAS Melbourne.

Welcome aboard Simi 60,

She sounds like the perfect boat for a shipwright. Looking forward to lots of pictures.

Carry on!

Looking forward to lots of pictures.

Thanks

All will be revealed after the deal is done
Have to say, i am getting sick of the hot and colds I am getting.
One minute she's the deal of the century and the next its arrrgh, run away, run away.

I did have a mate who is actually still running a boat-building business, he has a timber boat building background and owns a similar vessel himself spend a few hours going over her innards and general condition while on the water and he gave her a big tick of approval, especially at the price signed off on.
Lets hope she's as good under the water when a few years of crud is blasted off.

Hi, first post from Australia.
We have both recently turned 50, and the wife has been made redundant so thats it, retired from the work force.............or is that forced work;).
Time for another boat so we have taken the rather frightening move of signing and having accepted a contract on a converted 60ft timber trawler with an NT855 Cummins as a live-aboard living on the hook.
She has been neglected for several years and does have some exterior cosmetic issues, most of which I, as a boatbuilder can chip away at while on the water.
The engine runs like a dream and the majority of the systems work fine, though the battery bank appears dead so will need replacement with a solar addition and the low hour genset spins over but doesnt fire up so I am suspecting a fuel issue.

Fingers crossed on the upcoming slipping and survey.
That's interesting video log the big projects share on the tube. That way everyone hear can give you all the critic you can stand. Cause that's how we roll.:dance:

Welcome! When I was working I used to sell sugar cane equipment, and visited Queensland several times. It's a nice area and good folks!

Welcome aboard Simi! I returned to boating after retirement, it sure takes up any unused time, and money.
There are some stunning trawler conversions in Australia, hope the project goes well..

Been a big last few days.
Wife finished work Friday after working 25 years to the day for the same employer so we are both retired at 50 and today is the day we head off and bring the beastie down to lift up her skirts and stare at her bottom.
I have been assured I will like what I see.

Lets hope so, we need some adventure.

1444476587725505938_large_Copy.jpg

More details and pics if and when the deal is done.

Best of luck with the inspection, Simi. She appears to be a grand old Millkraft; one of Australia's premier wooden boat builders.

Tell us the history of the boat. Maybe after survey, you`ll know even more then. Hope it goes well.

Welcome aboard. Looks like a tour boat you've got there. Is she really wood?

Been a big last few days.
Wife finished work Friday after working 25 years to the day for the same employer so we are both retired at 50 and today is the day we head off and bring the beastie down to lift up her skirts and stare at her bottom.
I have been assured I will like what I see.

Lets hope so, we need some adventure.

1444476587725505938_large_Copy.jpg

More details and pics if and when the deal is done.

Good luck Simi. Some nice Aussie timber fit-out inside. Hope to hear all about it soon!

Travelled down doing around 8.5 knots at 1300rpm
She had her bottom blasted, pretty clean considering it was 2.5 years since last lift and there was no sign of anything to worrisome going on.

Done deal

image.jpg

Anodes doing their job
No sign of any issues after it was cleaned.
image.jpg

Best of luck with the inspection, Simi. She appears to be a grand old Millkraft; one of Australia's premier wooden boat builders.
That she is.
Ex trawler called Mercedes
Totally gutted and rebuilt to her current form in 2005
Cummins NT855 primary - 3000 hours
Kubota 8kva genset - 255 hours
Massive owners cabin on top deck with outdoor "verandah"
Cabin in forpeak with large single
Cabin on main deck with proper double
Spa on front deck

14444765901330055161_large.jpg

14444765881675284726_large.jpg

1444476588208424394_large.jpg

Thats a big ol' girl. With a spa! Damn. I am about to pull my boat after about 10 years in the water. Hope it looks something like yours but I doubt it.

Welcome aboard Simi. She has some very nice lines.

What a beauty, love your spa :). I wish you two many, many lovely miles.

That's a big boat! Congrats!

Interior
All presents well
She was a party boat, mainly attached to a Marina.
Big 2 door fridge freezer with icemaker, another bar fridge and freezer of same size on this level
13669375_10206889291336646_6534974459496216781_o.jpg

Comfortable helm, chartplotter, radar, autopilot, basic sounder and fridge.
New Koden fishfinder going back in before splash

There is a white leather lounge out of picture to the right facing forward
2_3.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently this is her in original form
60 ft Millkraft Trawler working North Queensland and the Gulf.

13709866_10206916383373930_5032614020068367023_n.jpg

Original builder plate which is not onboard.
I did find this picture online and the guy who has it made a post offering to give it back.
Unfortunately for all he died in 2014, so hold little hope of seeing it.

13726735_10206916367893543_8394999372979272412_n.jpg

Last edited:
She was purchased, brought 1000nm down the coast to Brisbane and between 2000-2005 had approx $800k thrown at her so the previous owner said.

A couple of them done at the same time, Santa Barbara to the left was a 55ft Mclaren with a 6lxb Gardner in her.
13710519_10206932513497173_352449663118459663_o.jpg

Last edited:
"She was purchased, brought 1000nm down the coast to Brisbane and between 2000-2005 had approx $800k thrown at her so the previous owner said."

Perfect! I'd say you picked a good time to retire Simi! Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom