View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #22
Carey
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Prepare to tow or be towed.

First of all, I have to say that those of you who would not tow due to your fear of litigation are certainly not the ones I would expect to respond to my distress call. I am sure you would cower in the v-berth and pretend you never heard the call. The reality is that I believe as a "Good Samaritan" you would have no more liability than a responder to a medical emergency. Regardless, I really wouldn't want you responding to my need anyway. If all you can think about is your liability, I doubt that your focus would be sufficiently on the task at hand. The final thought on the liability issue is that we are all responsible for responding to a vessel in distress. If for no other reason, because it's the right thing to do.

Secondly, I have to disagree with criticism of the towing method used by the Canadian Coast Guard. They are as well trained and well disciplined *a group as you would want responding to a maritime distress situation. The method as described is exactly the same as used by the US Coast Guard, and given the intelligent use of the method is as safe as it gets. I have practiced this exercise with the US Coast Guard at least a hundred times with varying sized vessels, and never was I uncomfortable with their decisions, and the safety of the tow. *Is it ever the ideal towing scenario. Probably not, but you find a happy medium between safety and getting the job done. Yes, if the situation gets to the point of not being practical, you deploy the anchor on the disabled vessel and transfer their crew to your boat.

-- Edited by Carey on Saturday 12th of March 2011 10:21:21 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote