steering wheel insert 3/4 shaft to 1'' wheel???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silentfaith

hi......found a nice stainless steering wheel for my trawler.
this wheel has a 1'' hole but my steering wheel shaft is 3/4''

is there a way to fabricate some meat in order to fit or does someone make an insert?

Buy a bushing from Mac master Carr , cut a slot for key way and make or order rectangle key .

could you please reply with the search words at mac master carr for that bushing. i have been unable to locate it . thank you

On macmaster Carr type in brass unthreaded spacer or sleeve bearings .

Last edited:
Just went through the same thing. Got a piece of stainless tube and cut a slot in it the got some brass key stock and cut a new key, 45 minutes work.

All of the 3/4" steering shafts I've seen are tapered and most of the 1" shafts are straight. Is that the situation with yours?

Edson Marine used to make a bushing for this but I couldn't find it on their website. Give them a call on Monday. I bet they still make them.

yep,,,,,thanks, you helped greatly and will call in am to get the tapered adapter.

There are sleeves made in many common sizes to convert 3/4 to 1, etc. It comes as a sleeve with the key way gap and with an 1/8" or taller key as needed. I went from 1" to 1-1/4" on this boat.
A good machine shop will either have the sleeves, know where to get them or make one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom