Do you pay for Cummins parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
betcha the "Cummins"parts were made in China.

Made in China isn't the issue. It's made in China by someone you don't know, imported by someone you don't know and never run through quality control by anyone you know you can trust. I'm glad fryedaze published his results. That's just what one often gets buying from an unknown ebay vendor.

I know some think manufacturers don't do a good enough job, but let me assure you that Cummins spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance. They audit the process and then they check what is delivered to them. I'm sure they occasionally reject shipments.

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Cummins "...spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance." Fair enough but chances are that $35 part was made in the same factory as the $351 part and BOTH were sold by the factory for $10. So, one guy makes $25 profit and the other makes $341 profit-the cost of the quality control and assurance.

Ever buy anything with a lifetime guarantee? Is the product so good it never breaks or wears out OR is the profit margin so high that the seller can afford to replace the item 5X over under warranty and still come out ahead?

Anyone wear Oakley or Ray-Ban sunglasses? Those $200 Turbines or Chromance models came out of the factory in China @ $9.

I love the "...I've purchased this part for "...$ less" comments.
One persons experience purchasing a part once or twice for anything means absolutely nothing statistically.
When you begin purchasing parts by the hundreds or thousands of items you begin to get a sense of what is happening out there. My shop purchased many millions of $'s in parts over the years and the lesson learned was that Original Equipment parts were hands down, the most reliable way to go. Speaking as the person who had to write the check when anything failed, my money is on O.E.
If you get away with playing Russian Roulette once or twice, my hat is off to you. Odds are you will loose at some point if you keep playing and it will be an ugly mess for somebody to have to clean up after! For my money, I would prefer to have Cummins backing up a failure than an anonymous eBay seller...
Bruce

Greetings,
Mr. BB. Cummins "...spends a lot of money in both quality control and quality assurance." Fair enough but chances are that $35 part was made in the same factory as the $351 part and BOTH were sold by the factory for $10. So, one guy makes $25 profit and the other makes $341 profit-the cost of the quality control and assurance.

Ever buy anything with a lifetime guarantee? Is the product so good it never breaks or wears out OR is the profit margin so high that the seller can afford to replace the item 5X over under warranty and still come out ahead?

Anyone wear Oakley or Ray-Ban sunglasses? Those $200 Turbines or Chromance models came out of the factory in China @ $9.

Mr. RT, the other way to look at it is Cummins gets the ones that pass quality control; ebay gets the ones that don't. 2 items made in the same factory is in no way a guarantee of same quality.

Ted

Greetings,

Oh yes...I've offered lifetime warranties because they cost virtually nothing on certain products.

But to the statement above. Chances are that isn't the case. There are hundreds to choose among and good companies spend a lot of time making sure the manufacturer can produce at the standard they require. There are quality production facilities in China and poor ones. Also, the facility making the Cummins part is probably checked periodically to be sure they're not private labeling or copying product. More likely the other one is a knockoff and it's possible to make it just as good. However, the one selling for $35 likely didn't spend time checking out the factory, didn't have one of their people on sight, didn't require regular quality reporting and didn't check and test the finished product when it arrived. Now I think the $341 is high and it can be found from Cummins for less. I think however, it's total cost including manufacturing and quality efforts is substantially more than the $35 product. I can speak to other products with more specifics than I can to Cummins parts.

Counterfeit designer purses and accessories are found regularly. What typically tells the agent who catches them is the quality. Little things they see that the average consumer wouldn't notice at first. I can't look at two parts, one from Cummins and one from Ebay and tell you the difference, but an expert could with the right equipment. First thing would be simple things like comparing weight, then analyzing each element, things such as the metals used. Perhaps a pressure test.

It is 100% possible for someone to make an equivalent product and sell it for less than Cummins. Guess what I'm saying is that the guy selling it for $35 on Ebay hasn't likely done that.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. Agreed but is the QC worth the extra $300? Cummins seems to think so.

It's worth an infinite amount if the $35 one doesn't work, or worse, leads to damage. The $300 price does sound high and the $35 ridiculously low. I would more often expect the OEM part at $200 and I bet it can be purchased considerably cheaper than the $300. Then I would expect a high quality copy with equivalent materials, testing, but no Cummins overhead or advertising to be about $100.

I'd encourage the OP to call some Cummins distributors and then some quality after market companies. I think you'll then see less disparity.

Cummins tends to quote full price so as not to undercut their distributors and approved sellers.

The part he's referencing is a shut down solenoid.
That would be odd. The standard is a power on solenoid. Shut down style would have been an option.
Dodge Cummins pick ups use the same power on solenoid. Easy to source from most auto parts stores. More cost effective than marine.
That said when I had my Cmins 6bs Cummins parts were competitive.

That would be odd. The standard is a power on solenoid. Shut down style would have been an option.
Dodge Cummins pick ups use the same power on solenoid. Easy to source from most auto parts stores. More cost effective than marine.
That said when I had my Cmins 6bs Cummins parts were competitive.

That was the part number he gave.

Oh yes...I've offered lifetime warranties because they cost virtually nothing on certain products.

But to the statement above. Chances are that isn't the case. There are hundreds to choose among and good companies spend a lot of time making sure the manufacturer can produce at the standard they require. There are quality production facilities in China and poor ones. Also, the facility making the Cummins part is probably checked periodically to be sure they're not private labeling or copying product. More likely the other one is a knockoff and it's possible to make it just as good. However, the one selling for $35 likely didn't spend time checking out the factory, didn't have one of their people on sight, didn't require regular quality reporting and didn't check and test the finished product when it arrived. Now I think the $341 is high and it can be found from Cummins for less. I think however, it's total cost including manufacturing and quality efforts is substantially more than the $35 product. I can speak to other products with more specifics than I can to Cummins parts.

Counterfeit designer purses and accessories are found regularly. What typically tells the agent who catches them is the quality. Little things they see that the average consumer wouldn't notice at first. I can't look at two parts, one from Cummins and one from Ebay and tell you the difference, but an expert could with the right equipment. First thing would be simple things like comparing weight, then analyzing each element, things such as the metals used. Perhaps a pressure test.

It is 100% possible for someone to make an equivalent product and sell it for less than Cummins. Guess what I'm saying is that the guy selling it for $35 on Ebay hasn't likely done that.

My sentiments exactly.
One way to possibly save money is to identify alternative sources for "factory" parts. Caterpillar and John Deere are obvious. Perkins is Massey-Ferguson tractor. Cummins 6BT was used in Dodge pickups.
I recently needed an engine part for my Cummins/Onan generator. A friend identified it as a Kubota engine, and the local Kubota dealer had just what I needed.

Almost no engine builder makes the accessories or the small parts like a solenoid themselves. Often the "cheap" part is made by the same factory that made the oem part and is just filling out production.
At least some Cummings engines are made in China along with all their accessories.

Attachments

• Cummings parts.JPG
    Cummings parts.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 133
Almost no engine builder makes the accessories or the small parts like a solenoid themselves. Often the "cheap" part is made by the same factory that made the oem part and is just filling out production.
At least some Cummings engines are made in China along with all their accessories.

China is a very big country with a lot of factories of all levels of quality. We sometimes tend to use the word "China" like it's one and only one quality. China has some of the best factories in the world and some of the less. From experience the knock off product was highly unlikely to be made by the same plant. That would risk all Cummins business and they do monitor for such. No one disputes the fact they manufacture some in China and I don't find that to be a problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom