painting engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bayview

Guru
IMO the only thing worse looking that a rusty engine is one covered with over spray.

Masking engines can be difficult because of all the odd shaped stuff to cover. My solution is to use aluminum foil.

I crush the foil over all the shapes I don't want painted and then use tape at the edge of the foil to mask the fine line at places like hose ends. The foil holds itself to the parts and the tape makes fine line. Works much better than masking paper.

My QSM 11's came from the factory with overspray. It never bothered me, at least not until now.

Dittos on foil. Saran wrap or that other stuff that's translucent works pretty good also. I've also used a piece of cardboard or plywood to protect areas that I don't want painted.
Overspray? Like a blue spot on wooden beams or nice aluminum tanks? Hoses with cracking paint? Yep, seen all of this on our search.
But what is worse: overspray? or rust? And don't even get me started on paint over RUST!

I agree rust is probably worse than overspray. The last time when I completely cleaned and repainted my engines I used a brush. In many cases it's easier to get into nooks and crannies than spray and with a little care and masking (or foil, etc) it's easier to control where it goes.

Ken

I haven't had a trawler engine to maintain yet but one of my maintenance theories is that if you can prevent something from deteriorating in the first place you are better off than trying to refinish it. To that end, I clean my sailboat engine with every oil change. Soap and water are my tools here. After everything is clean, I run the engine and get it warm. Finally, I empty a can of WD-40 on the engine and mop everything up with a clean rag. This 11 year old Yanmar has about 2000 hours on it and it looks like new! I do all of my own maintenance and it gets a valve adjustment annually, a water pump impeller, a complete check of the wiring harness including connectors, antifreeze replacement, fuel filters etc, etc. She runs like new!
The tin foil trick is a good idea though and I will remember it for the future!
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 75
Looks like an upgraded alternator on that Yanmar instead of the POS Hitachi.

If you paint bare steel, iron areas with cold galvanizing spray as a primer, then the engine color paint, you will get a much longer lasting paint job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom