Favor Please - Type of Latch That is Missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarlinLA

Vessel Name
Boatless
Vessel Make
Dreamer
Hello:

It would be appreciated that someone with an old Taiwan trawler reply with the type and source for the missing latch for my laz hatch...

Perhaps you have one laying you around you would be able to sell?

Carl

Attachments

• 2016-06-07 12.35.28.jpg
    2016-06-07 12.35.28.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 157
It is unlikely that the latch that is now missing was installed by the builder. It is most likely that a poor choice of latch was made, then when it failed, was removed.
I can't think of any boat on which I have seen a latch on that or similar hatch. You might want to do a little wood patching and do without.

It looks like a regular latch with a place for a lock to go through the loop part. I'm guessing a portable generator was stowed in that locker and keeping prying hands off was a priority.

The loop would be on the lower part of that picture. It was inset so it wouldn't be a toe stubber. Much!

It looks like a regular latch with a place for a lock to go through the loop part. I'm guessing a portable generator was stowed in that locker and keeping prying hands off was a priority.

The loop would be on the lower part of that picture. It was inset so it wouldn't be a toe stubber. Much!

I think the same...a hasp. Likely it was removed because it was a deck hazard. Perhaps filling the holes is the good option.

Last edited:
I think Janice and Irene just nailed it.

Ahh, 31 or 32 years! Our lazarette hatch has its original finger pulls, similar to yours but by Perko, on both the forward and after edges. Someone added hinges on the after edge so the after pull is no longer useful. Our 46 year old LeComte sailboat has elaborate sliding latches operable only from within the cabin to keep prying hands out of the lazarettes when the boat is locked.

I'd search around for flush, locking hardware (never seen any for an exterior floor...), or perhaps you should patch the Teak and add a LeComte-type of sliding latch operable from your aft cabin. The latches consist of knobs reachable within the cabin, threaded onto sliding square-section rods, square holes in guides for the rods, 'L' shaped bits welded onto the rods that slip in or our of bent plate eyes on the bottom of the lazarette hatches.

A lot of fuss-n-feathers! The sliding windows on Revel do not latch and the aft sliding door lock is rather light duty and operable by old-style skeleton keys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom